The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dehumidifier kicks out alot of water.Just wondering if it would be safe for reef tank.The coil is not copper.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
laddy00 said:
i think at one time Geoff was thinking about trying to use one.
It would be fine if the only thing that went through your dehumidifier was clean steam without all the household cleaners, dust, (God forbid) cigarette smoke, perfume, spray deoderant, hairspray, cooking oiks... ... you get the picture, all the stuff that gets aerosolized in your home can end up getting in either the condensate or captured as it goes through the coils by the condensate as it runs down the coils.

Distilling columns work on basically closed systems and use specific capture of solvents based on temperature fractionation, either by discarding lower temp condensates and keeping what distills out at a specific temp, or by the use of a fractioning column that is divided up based on temp of the particular part of the column. Dehumidifiers rely on relative humidity to capture water from the air, and do not have that specificity afforded by a distillation column. They will capture everything that the water will carry as a solute or partuculate suspension.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I would have to worry about is the dust.Would a tds meter help out on checking the water quality,or is this something I should give up on and just stick with the ro water.I would just hate to see it go to waste.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
this will not be a quality water product, it is waste water, put it into y9our flower bed or other waste water application. Definitely NOT something you want in the tank, as it will vary as to what is in it depending on what you're doing to generate aerosolized products in the house. Smelling it should give you a clue... :eek:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
there are a lot of airborn toxins that the dehumidifier would collect for ya.:eek: it would not make a good source for water for the tank.

i was looking at using a dehumidifier for my tank, but it was going to be used as a chiller, not as a source for water. i ended up using an old water fountains guts for my chiller.

G~

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I agree with the above. I would not use it. I would compare the water from a dehumidifier to the waste water from my RO unit. The water from the dehumidifier might not contain chlorine, phosphates etc like tap water, but the stuff that it takes out of the air is even scarier to me. Use that water for your plants. Keep it out of your reef.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts