The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first colony of Zoas and they were doing amazing until this morning. Great growth, full stalks. I don't see any obvious bugs or anything else on them except they are now super skinny and falling over. Color is good and every other zoa and poly is doing great in the tank right now.

I did frag my GSP last night and put superglue gel in the tank to attach the GSP to the back wall and used an exacto knife to cut the GSP out of the tank. I put the original piece back in its spot which is about 6" right of this zoa.

"Before" pic was taken with another phone a couple of weeks ago but the colors were the same then.

Before

After

· Shark...fish are friends
5,349 Posts
looks like a lot of algae and cyano on that rock... probably starting to grow on the zoas and irritate them. Try gently blowing them off and maybe try an iodine or revive dip to see if that helps.

The other options might be that if you have any hermits or other crabs they might be picking at them... I had a couple hermits that I caught picking at my zoas, the first time I saw it I picked the hermit up from the front corner by the zoa and dropped it in the opposite back corner as far away as possible and within about 30 seconds it came running back across the tank to pick at the zoas again... so after that it got moved to an empty tank, a couple weeks later I had a couple other hermits start picking at zoas and my anemone, so they got moved to the empty tank as well. Eventually they'll move in to my sump and overflows to help keep them clean without being able to reach the corals.

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are still on the original frag plug and I don't see much algae. I would be reluctant to dip them again...they look so fragile!! My electric blue crab has been on the rocks recently and flipped over my GSP the other day. He may have done something to them, I don't know

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen little white spots in all my colonies but they don't look like Zoa pox. I think it is bits of rock stuck to them after blowing my rocks off. They must be getting enough light as they have been growing but yes they always look stretched but they can't go any higher and lights can't get any brighter. Color has stayed the same and every night I look I don't see any munchers. They were all about to go into a 10g coral qt but while washing that tank, the corner cracked after being hit by hot water.

5,349 Posts
try moving them up and away from where they are currently. I tried zoas several times all over the place in different light settings, different flow etc. before I finally had one that started to grow... everything else just withered away and died. I'm still thinking there might be algae growing on them that you don't see yet with as much as there is on the rocks... but I don't know for sure what finally caused my zoas to start growing if it were just that i got them away from whatever was irritating them, or if I got them in the flow they like, or got them in the light they like... IDK, it's actually kind of funny that the zoas that finally started growing were actually getting picked apart by a hermit that got rehomed... all of the others I never saw hermits pick at them but they all died... maybe I just caught him at the opportune moment and he normally picked on them when I wasn't around... idk...

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ringer. Just seems odd they've been fine for over a month here. All my corals are about to hit my 10 gallon coral/qt tank anyhow. Plus they will get a nice reef breeder light treat in that tank!

5,349 Posts
it's hard to tell from those pics, but I'm pretty sure I mentioned above that you have algae and cyano... post #2... I can definitely see cyano in the pic in this original post, you have both green algae and cyanobacteria. Taking a turkey baster and blasting the cyano will remove it, but it will come back within a day until it is good and ready to go away. It might take months for it to go away, and all you can do in the meantime is try to keep it off your corals by gentle blowing them off with a turkey baster.

This is one of the key reasons I've been recommending to newbs that they wait until about 6 months before they start adding corals, because in my experience around 3-4 months in you are going to be hit hard with an algae bloom / cyano and then you will battle for months to keep the algae and cyano off your corals... I lost probably $400-500 worth of corals because I jumped right in and kept trying more corals even though they kept dying instead of just being patient and waiting. You'll have to lightly blow the corals off daily to keep algae and cyano off of them, and blowing them off can irritate them too and cause them to close up / die if you aren't gentle.

One other recent observation that I've made is that after my tank was 100% clear of algae for a few months I put an automatic feeder on my tank feeding pellets while I was away for thanksgiving, came back and I have cyano. I think there is something with the pellets that fuels cyano pretty quickly. I normally feed a combination of pellets alternated with blender mush, but after observing this cyano outbreak I'll mostly be feeding my blender mush until I get my worm farms going again.

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry ringer, I missed that the first time around. When I wtote above "I don't see algae" I meant on the zoas themselves. I inspected them last night and didn't see any algae on the zoas themselves but it is on the frag.

Yeah I'm a couple of weeks from the 4 month mark. Putting them in my coral qt won't do me any good since I'd be using my rock from my DT. :/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.