The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE class=tborder id=post801035 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_801035>*I moved it as no one will see it in commercial post thread.

Definitely need a bump for this thread.

I used to enjoy coming on and reading threads on our club forum...now all I see is, FS, FS, FS...what happened to meeting new members, and discussing current topics either OT or SW related?

Seems to me like people would rather wheel-and-deal than trade frags or give away things for free... I understand selling things if you're getting out of the hobby, but some of these threads are getting ridiculous, and honestly seemingly 'commercial'. Take your sales to Ebay.

Buying equipment, turning around and selling it again...don't buy it in the first place.

I'm all fine with group orders and WTB threads...but there's no need for 10 different ones...all you need is one. TITLE: Group Buy? Make a poll including a few different retail places, VOTE, then each member list your wants, and order. Simple, and keeps from spamming the boards.

I'd like to see the RMAC forum get back to the enjoyable state it once was.

/Rant over...

Relax and enjoy your hobby.

-Jason
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->
<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well then start a post with something to talk about.
I agree, but only one person RSVP to a meeting, and no other posts?
Not much of a club at this point.
I got a free puffer and anemone for you!

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Lets not start flame wars! David you are right it has been quiet here lately so we will have to see what we can do about that!

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
I think part of it is simply that a lot of us are pretty busy right now.

I've been doing intermittant research and investigation, but since nobody seems to have questions, I haven't really been sharing it.

Michael has a new baby, which will tend to keep people very busy. I'm just getting out of that stage myself with my youngest. Jodi tried to retire as president, only to get the title handed right back to her. Ross, Tito, and jjdiver are out of the area or temporarily without a running tank. Plus plenty of others have distractions that aren't popping into my head right now.

I'm currently trying to get some of my new zoanthids to spread enough to be able to offer them to others. In particular, I love my red ones with purple centers. At the next meeting I will have Green Star Polyps to offer to anybody who needs them. Plus I will probably be able to scrape a group of nicely colored zoos off the glass. I keep starting to work on setting up my 125, just to get too busy to dedicate the time to it. Once that is up, I'll probably host a meeting. The biggest hurdle is ripping out a section of carpet in the basement to set it up on without having to rip out all of the carpet...

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"The biggest hurdle is ripping out a section of carpet in the basement to set it up on without having to rip out all of the carpet...."

you better like the spot you pick out.
how about ply-wood under the tank and on top of the carpet so you dont need to cut it....that should keep things level.
If not tile the basement..$$$..that will look nice:thumbup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reefer Dude said:
Lets not start flame wars! David you are right it has been quiet here lately so we will have to see what we can do about that!
Summers have always been slow. People enjoy being outside and don't spend so much time on their tanks. As fall approaches I expect to see more activity again.

Not having a running tank is no excuse! I haven't had one for almost 4 years. :nuts:

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
MedicineMan said:
Summers have always been slow. People enjoy being outside and don't spend so much time on their tanks. As fall approaches I expect to see more activity again.

Not having a running tank is no excuse! I haven't had one for almost 4 years. :nuts:
Do you at least dive every day?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I used to enjoy coming on and reading threads on our club forum...now all I see is, FS, FS, FS...what happened to meeting new members, and discussing current topics either OT or SW related?

Seems to me like people would rather wheel-and-deal than trade frags or give away things for free... I understand selling things if you're getting out of the hobby, but some of these threads are getting ridiculous, and honestly seemingly 'commercial'. Take your sales to Ebay.

Buying equipment, turning around and selling it again...don't buy it in the first place.

I'm all fine with group orders and WTB threads...but there's no need for 10 different ones...all you need is one. TITLE: Group Buy? Make a poll including a few different retail places, VOTE, then each member list your wants, and order. Simple, and keeps from spamming the boards.

I'd like to see the RMAC forum get back to the enjoyable state it once was.

/Rant over...

Relax and enjoy your hobby.

-Jason

Your the one that works at a fish store. You more then anyone should be trying to recuit new members.

I have no problem with the "wheeling & dealing threads" as I would rather see the locals get product at a good price rather then going to one of the local fish stores and paying double. And not everyone makes money on items they sell. I for one have lost thousands of dollars in this hobby.

If its that big of a problem why don't we create a sub forum under the group forum for items for sale, for trade, etc.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Like I said lets not turn this into a flame, lets move on! I do not think Jason working at a store has anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amen Brother!
Its not a big deal....just look 48 threads, only 5 are FS and 3 are for free stuff....thats 40 with other topics.
Best deals I got were from TRT and local members, it helps keep the hobby from breaking you $$$.
I can see why some people who make a living by selling things at a LFS may not like the FS post. They do take money away from them.
I dont know of one member i made money on here..please LMK if I did.
I agree, if you want to make money, its eBay!
That said: I do think this club need direction. I thank Stella for all she has done, and I support any one who will make the club better.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reefer Dude said:
Like I said lets not turn this into a flame, lets move on! I do not think Jason working at a store has anything to do with it.
Can you say: conflict of interest
: a conflict between the private interests and the official responsibilities of a person in a position of trust ;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
??? He meets people on a daily basis (or whenever he works) that are interested in saltwater/reef aquariums. I couldn't think of a better situation to be in for recuiting more members. Maybe the store he works at would let the club put a few flyers in the store.

I am not a member of the club but if I was going to recuit members I would start at the Pet Shops.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
tito said:
??? He meets people on a daily basis (or whenever he works) that are interested in saltwater/reef aquariums. I couldn't think of a better situation to be in for recuiting more members. Maybe the store he works at would let the club put a few flyers in the store.

I am not a member of the club but if I was going to recuit members I would start at the Pet Shops.
Sorry Tito I missed the part about him recruiting.

That is the plan! We will be using EWOF (we hope) to try and recruit new members. I will be doing some posts later today about some initial changes to the club. Mainly around recruiting and getting more people into the club.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The whole thought of my initial post came from my hobbyist standpoint, not from working at a LFS...I could care less if someone buys online as I did that while I worked at FnP so I can't tell others not to...however I meant that the FS posts were getting a bit carried away, not to mention it is against the TRT TOS, that's why TRT has a general classifieds section.

Enough about that, I do feel that this club needs to be a bit more organized, Jody did a great job...but its too much of a task for one person to take all of the responsibility and organization.

tito said:
Your the one that works at a fish store. You more then anyone should be trying to recuit new members.

I have no problem with the "wheeling & dealing threads" as I would rather see the locals get product at a good price rather then going to one of the local fish stores and paying double. And not everyone makes money on items they sell. I for one have lost thousands of dollars in this hobby.

If its that big of a problem why don't we create a sub forum under the group forum for items for sale, for trade, etc.
And with the recruiting from the store, I think its a great idea as far as a club standpoint...get the RMAC name out there and increase membership, I have been doing that all along...

Again with the wheeling dealing, TRT has a forum dedicated to that, the classifieds.

The club needs to be restructured, and have goals...

That's all I'm getting into now...

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
oyam123 said:
"The biggest hurdle is ripping out a section of carpet in the basement to set it up on without having to rip out all of the carpet...."

you better like the spot you pick out.
how about ply-wood under the tank and on top of the carpet so you dont need to cut it....that should keep things level.
If not tile the basement..$$$..that will look nice:thumbup:
Tiling the basement or similar is the long term plan, but a 5' x 8' patch of linoleum is a cheaper short term option. My stupid cat has systematically destroyed one small patch of carpet in virtually every room in the house. Less than a square foot per room but with carpet, that's enough... Of course, I was the one who adopted kittens who seemed to have had head trauma...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reefer Dude said:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!
It's not ALL work; I get out at least once a month! (The bills here are phenomenol; the $150,000 house you get there runs about $650,000 here:bigeek: . Not to mention gas is $3.62/gallon and milk is "cheap" at $4.60/gallon).

Also, since having dived Fiji 18 months ago, diving here seems like a comparative desert! Of course, if I could, I WOULD go out at LEAST weekly!!:fish:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I want to go diving, I think I'd even "settle" for HI.:rotflmao:

But I'll stick to living here in the land o' lakes where my gas is "only" 2.91/gal. But at least you get that beautiful scenery.

If a few Roch reefers come out to the island would you take us on a diving tour? That would be spectacular.:fish:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts