The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a major hair algae problem on my sand and it just keeps growing so i was wondering how you guys deep siphon your sand and if it comes to this problem, how to completely take out my sand and put new sand in my tank if this is possible?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
very possible on both counts. most use a python siphons for deep cleaning the sand bed during water changes.

i used a shop vac to remove mine. annoying, but easily done. replace with dry sand, live sand can contain phosphates from the beginning.

G~

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
very possible on both counts. most use a python siphons for deep cleaning the sand bed during water changes.

i used a shop vac to remove mine. annoying, but easily done. replace with dry sand, live sand can contain phosphates from the beginning.

G~
using a shop vac did you have to do it in stages.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i feel there is no reason to do it in stages. i just did it all at once. emptied the tank of critters, LR and as much crystal clean water as possible, then fired up the shop vac and emptied it completely of sand. i stayed BB, but putting in new dry sand is fine. you will have a lot of sand storms in the beginning, but nothing the critters will mind, they are used to sand moving around in the wild. as long as you put the LR in the same orientation that it was before (the top up and bottom down) you will have very little cycling.

G~

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
if you go thru all the hassle of removing ALL the sand. KEEP IT that way and go barebottom.

i had a sandbed for 4 yrs and just went BB a few months ago. i've noticed my skimmers polishes the water much much much much more quickly now.....my corals seem to be growing at a faster rate since the BB.

i'm a BIG believer in BB now... ammonia, nitrate/nitrite and phosphates get removed by the skimmer much more quickly now. i have 1/4th the amount of green slime on my glass than I use to.

there's really no valid reason NOT to go BB unless visually you like seeing sand.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
i feel there is no reason to do it in stages. i just did it all at once. emptied the tank of critters, LR and as much crystal clean water as possible, then fired up the shop vac and emptied it completely of sand. i stayed BB, but putting in new dry sand is fine. you will have a lot of sand storms in the beginning, but nothing the critters will mind, they are used to sand moving around in the wild. as long as you put the LR in the same orientation that it was before (the top up and bottom down) you will have very little cycling.

G~
that must of been an all day project with alot of help. i could noy imagine breaking down a tank that size. all the more reason to go BB

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kind of like the appearance of the sand in the tank. Is there a way to get rid of phosphates in my sand WITHOUT replacing the sand bed? ive had this problem for a while and would really like to get rid of it!

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I kind of like the appearance of the sand in the tank. Is there a way to get rid of phosphates in my sand WITHOUT replacing the sand bed? ive had this problem for a while and would really like to get rid of it!
from everything i read no. you would have to remove the old sand replace with new dry sand.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if the sand bed has already absorbed as much phosphates as it can, then there is no real way to get it out completely without replacing the sand. this is why it is important to deep clean the sand bed from the beginning, not allowing the phosphates to build up in the sand bed.

sand binds phosphates, that is what calcium carbonate does best. thing of the sand as a super duper phosphate sponge. it just has to be replaced on occasion to export the bound phosphates. it is just part of keeping a sand bed. you either deep clean every water change or expect to replace the entire bed every few years.

this is why it is recommended to replace the sand bed whenever you get a chance. say moving the tank or during a major re-aquascaping.

G~

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing is my tanks only 6 months old and i clean it every week so i dont know if its that bad.. If i change the sand where could i get dry sand to put in my tank?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
with the sand that old, then you have time to correct the problem by deep cleaning now. unless you have been overfeeding extensively the sand bed should not be full yet. if yo start now deep cleaning the bed, you should start to see the HA diminish. within 6 months you are still in the initial cycling of the tank. when i say cycling i do not mean that useless nitrogen cycle everyone is so concerned about. within the first year of a tanks existence you go through many cycles. the nitrogen cycle is the most toxic and the quickest. the silicate cycle and the phosphate cycle are much longer and more annoying and in most cases lead the most people leaving the hobby because they were not patient enough. it takes time for the bacteria that process phosphates to get going also. unfortunately the HA gets going first.

give it time and keep siphoning the sand bed of detritus.

G~

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright im gonna keep siphoning the sand. I've been scraping the algae off the sand before water change and then sucking up as much as i can along with grabbing it off the sand and rocks. Do u think this is good enough or do i need to do something else?

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will stirring up my sand every water change to get the algae out of it cause problems in my tank?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
not recomended i read in another thread some one did that and had a realy bad smell coming from the tank. check out gabriels thread on is this a bad sign TOM (tdwyatt) explains it all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts