The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a yellow tang or kole tang for a 65g tank (36x18x24). Is this pushing the limit?

thanks,

Matt (TVI)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you introduce them at the same time you might get away with it. But both fish will outgrow a 65 gallon tank.

I have a 90 gallon....with a yellow tang that is over 5 years old. I tried to add an acilies and a sailfin. Both at different times......The yellow tank killed each of the fish at night while I was asleep.....

So I would only do one tang if I were you........

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey hess,

yeah, it was an OR situation, not an AND... ;-)

but eventually, i would have to get rid of either one, correct?

·
Registered
351 Posts
its no problem, ive had a yellow, a blue and currently a sailfin in my 58g(same as the 65 just shorter)

they will all get to big, just they you just trap em and traid em in for a smaller one. I did that with 3 blue tangs and finally traided the last one out for the current sailfin. Just be aware its not a permanent thing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

thank you for the replies. while i wouldn't mind removing a fish from my tank once it reached too large a size, i know my wife wouldn't allow it as she becomes very attached to all the critters (except spiders) who live in our house. i think i'll have to stay away from any tang until i can get a bigger tank.

thanks again,

Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would never get something hoping to trap it later. You can't always easily catch them. While your probably pushing it I would say 1 yellow or 1 kole would be OK. Just don't have any other big fish in there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts