The Reef Tank banner
4K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Swanwillow 
#1 ·
I saw a beautiful urchin at World of fish called the Flower Urchin. I had heard that these were a big no no in aquariums because they were deadly. I just did more reading on them and everywhere I look says that there toxin can cause paralysis and even death, so what gives! I bet World of Fish doesn't even know that these are possibly deadly, or do they and they just don't care? I find this a little shocking, kinda like a store selling blue ringed octopus. When I was there I wasn't completely positive about it being the deadly type of urchin, so I asked two of the employees at two different times if there was any special information or care for a flower urchin, they just said that it eats algae sheets and that it is very beautiful. NOTHING was said about it being deadly, pretty irresponsible if you ask me. Every employee there should know if there is a potentially deadly animal in the premises.:idea:

#2 ·
There are alot of things about this hobby that are deadly. I saw that Urchin today as well. Very pretty is is, but it was huge. the thing was larger than a softball. It does not suprise me one bit that they knew nothing about it being deadly. If they told everyone that it could kill you it would never sell. Same goes with Palythoas, and Zoanthids. If everyone was told that if you get even the smallest amount of Palytoxin in your system you can kiss this world goodbye. I am usually suprised when I see the warnings written about Lion Fish and not other toxic things. When a Lion Fish sting can be compared to a bee sting.

#3 ·
it lives in bay and lagoon, on sandy or rubble bottoms. It likes to cover completely itself with rubble and detritus, disappearing. The sting from the pedicellaria injects a poison, extremely painful and sometimes lethal also for humans.
As the stinger is very small, it not always can pierce the hard skin on our hand palm, therefore we can often touch it with no consequences. But anyway, the sting on other body parts can be very damgerous.

#5 ·
carman34l said:
There are alot of things about this hobby that are deadly. I saw that Urchin today as well. Very pretty is is, but it was huge. the thing was larger than a softball. It does not suprise me one bit that they knew nothing about it being deadly. If they told everyone that it could kill you it would never sell. Same goes with Palythoas, and Zoanthids. If everyone was told that if you get even the smallest amount of Palytoxin in your system you can kiss this world goodbye. I am usually suprised when I see the warnings written about Lion Fish and not other toxic things. When a Lion Fish sting can be compared to a bee sting.
You hit the nail right on the head with your last statement. They'll openly tell you too watch out for lionfish stings, but even when I specifically asked for any special care needed for this urchin both workers were obviously not even informed about this. The fact that the workers that have to bag up this urchin are not even aware that they could be mortally wounded in the process is very bad. You'll see warnings of some kind on tanks that sell stonefish, but for some reason no one saw fit to warn anyone in the slightest about this beautiful and potentially deadly urchin.

#7 ·
carman34l said:
There are alot of things about this hobby that are deadly. I saw that Urchin today as well. Very pretty is is, but it was huge. the thing was larger than a softball. It does not suprise me one bit that they knew nothing about it being deadly. If they told everyone that it could kill you it would never sell. Same goes with Palythoas, and Zoanthids...
As deadly as the urchin is... this is true. If there were a neon sign pointing to the urchin with the symbol of a skull and crossbones... it would never sell. The general public has to take *some* responsibility... walking into the store, pointing to the urchin and saying, "I'll take it..." is just as irresponsible as the employee not saying "Oh. Well... ummm... by the way, it's deadly". ;)

Just my two pennies...

#11 ·
I agree HFG on both your points. People are intrigued by the fact that things have horrible stings, or could take your arm off if it got a hold of you. So the fact still remains, if you are going to sell animals with known deadly stings (not just a possibility like the palytoxin) you must in some way let the buyer know that if the little critter pokes through the bag and into there hand on the way out the door that they will be in a heap of trouble.
But the point of what I was saying is that there was not a label of caution or anyone even when questioned and given the opportunity that would even warn that it has a very potent and likely deadly sting. I am aware the the buyer SHOULD know about what they are buying in an ideal world, but we live in the real world where many people believe that fish store employees will let them know the animal's needs and will caution the buyer if what they are buying is either deadly or can cause quite a bit of pain if you simply touch it.
We do have to protect the ignorant, and the thought of a person completely unknowingly buying this beautiful urchin and driving along on the way home with the bag sitting on his lap, then hits a pot hole...:bigeek:

#14 ·
I agree about the big dangerous signs actually helping it sell. Maybe even requiring the person to sign a waiver about liability. You'll have every newbie late teen / early 20's male snapping at the bit to own one. To impress their buddies and wow the young ladies.

I am curious if there isn't a statute that restricts the sale of highly poisonous animals though.

Kevin

#15 ·
Tutmos said:
I am curious if there isn't a statute that restricts the sale of highly poisonous animals though.

Kevin
I think Minnesota is fairly liberal when it comes to this...

Twin Cities Reptiles has no problem at all selling Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes... and although not poisonous, they also manage to sell Green Anacondas with a clear conscience... and when I was there last month, there wasn't a sign over the display that said "Beware: Green Anacondas grow to lengths of over 30-feet and when full-grown will readily consume feral pigs, white-tailed deer, teenagers and Honda Civics". :) I'm being facetious but you get the point...

#16 ·
ZOKU said:
I think Minnesota is fairly liberal when it comes to this...

Twin Cities Reptiles has no problem at all selling Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes... and although not poisonous, they also manage to sell Green Anacondas with a clear conscience... and when I was there last month, there wasn't a sign over the display that said "Beware: Green Anacondas grow to lengths of over 30-feet and when full-grown will readily consume feral pigs, white-tailed deer, teenagers and Honda Civics". :) I'm being facetious but you get the point...
So what, why should there be a sign over the display?? If someone is buying a Rattlesnake or a Green Anaconda they better **** well know what they are getting into before going to the store.

Keith

#17 ·
Superman said:
I saw a beautiful urchin at World of fish called the Flower Urchin. I had heard that these were a big no no in aquariums because they were deadly. I just did more reading on them and everywhere I look says that there toxin can cause paralysis and even death, so what gives! I bet World of Fish doesn't even know that these are possibly deadly, or do they and they just don't care? I find this a little shocking, kinda like a store selling blue ringed octopus. When I was there I wasn't completely positive about it being the deadly type of urchin, so I asked two of the employees at two different times if there was any special information or care for a flower urchin, they just said that it eats algae sheets and that it is very beautiful. NOTHING was said about it being deadly, pretty irresponsible if you ask me. Every employee there should know if there is a potentially deadly animal in the premises.:idea:
Did you inform WOF of your ASSUMPTION?? Do you really think they would sell that deadly of a creature knowingly to make a buck, I doubt it!! If you are truly concenred you will call them immediately.

Keith

#20 ·
blackdog said:
Did you inform WOF of your ASSUMPTION?? Do you really think they would sell that deadly of a creature knowingly to make a buck, I doubt it!! If you are truly concenred you will call them immediately.

Keith
No offense Blackdog and maybe you didn't mean any either, but I expect more respect when I am being addressed. I did call them, and the guy that I talked to acted very dissinterested and said he'd "look into it"

I guess I'll just drop this thread, not worth my time, I don't need the drama.

#22 · (Edited)
Superman said:
I bet World of Fish doesn't even know that these are possibly deadly, or do they and they just don't care?
i don't think paul made any ASSUMPTIONS...i find the lack of responsibility (from the store) pretty disturbing (jmho). maybe we don't need laws, or signs for that matter-you could make a darwinian argument for people "smart" enough to buy/keep such critters. but i think all parties (store, customer, critter) would all be well served to be educated and share information about the animals we keep.
tg

#23 ·
Superman said:
I guess I'll just drop this thread, not worth my time, I don't need the drama.
Hang in there buddy! :) Thanks for the heads up on the urchin. I think the majority of us really appreciate your efforts in investigating this.

I do not recall any rattlesnakes at TC reptile however, and speaking from experience the anacondas are best off not bred for captive pets, but just like the intriguing poisonious stuff....some people get off on breeding a massive species such as these even if it means feeding off the teenage kids in the neighborhood.

#25 ·
blackdog said:
So what, why should there be a sign over the display?? If someone is buying a Rattlesnake or a Green Anaconda they better **** well know what they are getting into before going to the store.

Keith
Maybe in the world of make believe. But be realistic, many, many people impulse buy and think they'll just figure it out as they go. Ultimately it's up to the store to be educated on the live animals they are offering for sale and ultimately they are responsible if someone gets hurt and they weren't warned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.