The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought several wonderful new starfish and tank cleaners and one of my beautiful new sea cucumbers had the good sense to get stung to death by my anemone.

Luckily, I have a 75 gallon hex tall aquarium and he's 30" down. And on top of the cucumber is about 70 lbs of live rock. The live rock is on supports but he is still relatively unreachable. I've designed many excellent tools to grab him and after 2 days still have a dead cucumber.

Happy new year to me!

My question is: If I can't get to him and he slowly decays at the bottom, how bad is that? Should I dismantle my rock wall and stress out the kids?

Pros? Cons?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
if its been 2 days wouldnt the poison have most likely gotten everythign already? i'd still get it out if you have anything in that tank that you'd cry over losing. ive heard of people running carbon to get rid of the poison, but no idea if it works well enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some cucumbers can be very toxic and crash your entire tank. You need to post here and or google the exact one you have to be sure. If you cant figure out which exact kind you have........better safe than sorry...get it out

It's a tiger tail sea cucumber...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I had a tank crash with eviscerated cucumber (another than yours) just a month ago. If it was toxic - you'll know about it in the first hour. My anemone didn't stung any of my cucumbers, though - lucky me!

The dead body should be removed, if you can do it. What comes in mind: wire loops, vacuuming - may be cuke will be sucked to the tube and you can lift it?

Removing a rockwork is a big PITA, as you know. But I did that when had to remove from 20g XH tank the one small fast fish... I feel your pain.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top