The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I woke up to find that during the night something spilt my fire shrimp in half. I'm not sure what could have done this I have read that star fish can be aggressive and sometimes attack others in the tank. I have a banded brittle star could it possibly kill a shrimp? I don't really have any other inhabitants that a larger that the shrimp. I just want to know if the rest of my inhabitants are safe or if I need to pull out the star.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Hopefully it just molted. The first crustacean I ever had was a beautiful purple and pink lobster. Found its shell and thought it had died. Couple of months later while rearranging the rock it found me. The little guy was tucked in one of the rocks and when I got too close he bit me. Hope this is the case. Now on that star, a lot of people don't recommend them. I thought I wanted one but just couldn't see risking what I already have. They will make a meal out of anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fly Guy said:
Are you sure it didnt molt???.....i remember when i got my coral banded...the first shrimp i ever had.....and i thought it died for no reason as well.....a week later there he was....healthy as ever....
Yeah I'm sure I can still see some of the meat left in his tail and he is completely missing his middle and the hermit crabs are finishing of what is left in his head. So I'm pretty sure he is dead.

·
11,345 Posts
hal9000 said:
Yeah I'm sure I can still see some of the meat left in his tail and he is completely missing his middle and the hermit crabs are finishing of what is left in his head. So I'm pretty sure he is dead.
:( sorry....wishful thinking

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Um you said hermit are finishing off. Do you mean the large hermit crabs or the smaller cleaner crabs. My hermit just about destroyed my reef he would eat and kill anything he got near. He is now in my fowler(only because they are mean fish and even if he managed to get them he probly would be worse off!) If you do have large hemits they may be your culprit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts