The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
I don't use live fish when cycling FW tanks ether, nitrite in FW tanks seems to be more deadly then in SW tanks, so cycling a FW tank with live fish is more "deadly", but a lot of FW fish have a wider span of parameters they can deal with then SW reef fish that have developed a very limited parameter range.

I have been keeping FW tanks and ponds for 20+ years now and I can't see much, if any difference with cycleing a FW tank or a SW tank, what differs too me is the way FW and SW tanks mature, and yes FW tanks also have a mature rate.

I have amphipods, copepods, worms, and such liveing in my FW tanks. I like to gather critters from local bodies of water and add those to my tank. I also don't use filters in my FW tanks anymore ;)

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
When I started out keeping FW tanks all I had were under gravel filters or just an air stone.

when I started a new tank I would get tap water in 5g buckets and leave them outside for 3-4 weeks until they "aged" before I added water to the tanks, I also did the same for water changes. this was long before I ever had a computer or knew that water conditioners existed. I did have a book from the 60's that my grandpa gave me on aquariums and thats what I went by.

I bred all kinds of fish and even started breeding goldfish and Koi.

I think when it comes to SW and FW we don't give it a straight line...

SW reef fish and a lot more delicate then other SW fish IMO so if we setup tanks with hardier SW fish I think the results with SW and FW would be about the same, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.