The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i tested my tank and it all tested zero, nitrate tested 5, but would that really effect the fish? A few threads ago i posted that all my fish died in two days. I dont understand what is wrong. they were fine, and BOOM all dead. I dont really think there was a disease that would kill them all in one day would there?

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Brandon,

Im sorry, I must have entered this conversation late. Please provide info concerning the tank (age,reef,non-reef,
additives(copper),fish types, filtration,sand bottom,inverts,lighting,etc) I started with a few small disasters as well. Nitrate level of 5ppm in an established tank is a problem but may prove secondary.

Steve:p

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Sorry if I missed the last thread on this but was your tank new or used? copper could still be in your tank if used and a FW tank!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tank was a fw tank, but i never used any meds, my tank is about 6.5 months old. i got my first perc at 5.5 months. it will be FOWLR tank, protien skimmer is my filtration, 50/50 lighting, i have a system that is pvc pip, milk crate covered by fiberglass screen, 2 inches of fine argonite, then a layer of the screen and then 2 inches of course argonite.

thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i still say it as the mass amount of different types of clowns in the tank.

if i remember you had a tomato, a few percs, and sebae?

i still belive the death was due to stress, from 1, adding too many fish too fast, and 2, they were all different species of clowns.

but that's jsut my opinion.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I agree with Jay as to many species of clowns will cause death to the fish! I have heard of two different species of clowns in a very large tank where there is plenty of room and less chance of territorial battles!!

You said you never used meds(copper) in your tank when it was FW right? Was this tank new when you acquired it or bought from someone else? What I'm getting at if you did not medicate the tank maybe someone else did if the tank had a different owner!

What size was your tank? :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bought the tank myself, brand new. I had a tomato, 2 percs and a maroon. its a 75, they all left eachother alone, and then bam! all dead. i dont get it. there maybe stress, but would it really kill all of them within 2 days?

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
It's hard to tell but I know for a fact that the tomato and maroon clowns are two of the most aggressive clowns in the family!

I could see them killing off the percs and then would be a toss up as to who would be dead next ----------tomato or maroon!

It seems like you would have seen some of the battles going on if this was the case and I am really surprised they would get along!

Were all your tests on your water ok?

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
A Copper treated tank wouldn't kill the fish anyway.

NitrAtes that low are not a hazard to fish either.

Fighting would have been visible - ragged fins, darting fish, etc...

Ich would be visible and slower.

SO.....

Are culprits could be:

A) Brooklynella outbreak, kills swiftly, favors clownfishes, hard to spot.

B) Outside contaminant. Painting in the room? Accidentaly drop a toaster in the water?

C) Faulty testing. If you have a protein skimmer as your SOLE filtration I imagine you might have an ammonia/nitrIte problem that a faulty test might not have registered. Erratic behavior such as rapid breathing and lethargy should have been evident if that was the case, which in essence rules it out since you saw no signs.

Given the fact that it is clownfishes we are talking about, and swift death, I would guess you got hit by a bout of Brooklynella.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I concur with Beach Bum - either Brook or some sort of contaminant.... anybody use Windex on the tank or in the room? I've had a customer whose wife liked those scented oil plug-in air fresheners that wiped out a 55 g (his basement reef was unaffected - no plug-ins downstairs...)

Lotion on your hands - lawn fertilizer, all kinds of possible contaminants that your test kits wouldn't pick up....

Think back - when did your hands (or anybody's hands) last go in the tank before the fish died, and what were you (or they) doing immediately before?

Jenn

·
Registered
4 Posts
excellent response beachbum. It is curious that they all died at approximately the same time. Speaking of contaminants, My brother put gasoline in his lawnmower early in the morning (cooler to Mow) worked outside,came in, grabbed a beer and whatched his reef. Fixed a minor avalanche in the tank, next morning...DEATH.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Re: Windex

dmck said:
My cleaning lady just killed my Tang with Windex.
just the tang, or the whole tank.

Welcome to the TRT!!!

how did she get the tang out to clean it with windex.:D i bet it was a shiny fish there for a little bit.:D

sorry, a little punchy tonight.

G~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.