The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, back with another question. I came home from work to see one of my 2 clown fish sideways on the bottom of the tank with a snail on it. Not a good thing. My water is fine and he has been eating a lot and seems healthy. I have a 12 gallon nano-cube with 2 turbo snails, a lawnmower blenny, 2 (now 1) clown, a coral banded shrimp and a few nasarrius snails... The coral bandid shrimp seems to be somewhat aggressive towards the blenny and even the clowns. If they come near him he streches his claws out and chases them away. I have had the shrimp for only about 2 weeks.

My question is, do you think it's possible the shrimp killed the clownfish? I don't see much other options as he seemed very healthy, and the coral I have has been in the tank for a while with no problems, and is mostly peacefull anyways (zoanthids, xenia, etc).

It's hard to inspect to see if the clown had any (claw) marks on him since the snail had been on him when I found him.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sorry lost your clown. But I don’t think your coral banded is to blame, that is normal behavior for them, and they swipe at anything that comes around them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Have you checked the water specs? No offence intended but many would argue that 3 fish in a 12 gallon tank is alot and would tend to create stress (lowers immune system) as well as increase the likelihood of water quality issues.

Coral banded shrimp are not "cleaners" .. they are colorful, aggressive, and I doubt would be capable of harming a clownfish.

Nassarius snails are "meat eaters" thats why he was on the clown .. if you want an algae eater purchase Turbo's or other known algae eating snails.

Hope this helps ... Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been told that a 12 gallon is really only suitable for 1 fish but they seem to be doing okay, besides for this one incident. I will keep it in mind and I appreciate the feedback. I will also recheck the water. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts