The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: While on vacation my claim died and my tank sitter advised the scarlet cleaner would not leave the clam alone. Has anyone had cleaner shrimp pester a clam to death?

Also have a problem with zoo's disappearing in the tank as well as yellow polyps.

I've got a peppermint shrimp who got rid of my aptaisia, some blue and red hermits, 2 ocelaris and a coral beauty. I suspect the peppermint shrimp, but now my cleaner is suspect after the info from the tank sitter.

The inverts all look great- LPS, ricordea, shrooms and bubble tip.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I supect the coral beauty - if it doesn't get fed enough it will go for some fresh food and they usually take a liking for it. I had a Koran angel that ate 6 croceas before I caught him in the act one night after lights out

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ever notice any snails on your zoo's?? or your clam for that matter? there are some parasitic nocturnal snails that are known to eat those. not the same snail, but still, keep an eye out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Never saw the CB picking at anything other then rock so never thought about him at night. The clam had been in the tank about 6 months and was doing great up until shortly before I left.
As for snails, checked for them on the shell when I got it and didn't see any but hadn't checked again after it was in the tank.

I'm bummed I was away when it happened. Might have been able to do something had I been home. Murphy's law I guess..........

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Sorry for your loss. With regard to the cleaner shrimp, how long have you had him, and the clam? If you've had both for some time, then I don't think that's the issue.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
ChrisPrusha said:
Sorry for your loss. With regard to the cleaner shrimp, how long have you had him, and the clam? If you've had both for some time, then I don't think that's the issue.
Ditto, cleaner was probably eating dead tissue, especially if there was some problem with the clam before the vacation.

As for the Zoanthids, look for a small spiral-shelled snail. Google Sundial snails for some pix, they will eat a polyp a night for each snail if left unchecked; instant disaster if you have a population of them...

FW dip and a few strong swish treatments in SW will remove the snails and their eggs, but my require isolation of the Zoanthids and multiple treatments. A good friend had them in a tank stocked almost exclusively with oa's, his once-a-day patrol and removal would result with over 50 daily for a week or two. I believe he finally tore the tank down and individually treated each specimen with FW dip and tweezers... :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tom. I've done alot of reading and don't recall ever seeing anything on these critters. Pretty shell, but I will show no mercy. :mad:

I've got some palythoas I believe, larger single polyps that have been in the tank for about 18 months without any incident. Are the snails specific as to which type of Zoanthid they like??

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
bchnit1 said:
Thanks Tom. I've done alot of reading and don't recall ever seeing anything on these critters. Pretty shell, but I will show no mercy. :mad:

I've got some palythoas I believe, larger single polyps that have been in the tank for about 18 months without any incident. Are the snails specific as to which type of Zoanthid they like??
I do not know for sure, I have seen them in many diofferent species of ZDoanthids, primqarily Indonesian, but I am sure that they will eat just about any of the Zoanthids.

What progress have you made on eradicating the snails?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts