The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was jsut turning off the actinics for the nights so me and the fish could sleep in nice darkness and the shrimp could come out to play.

well, the shrimp was already out playing. or should i say eating. there under a rock, was the carcass of one of my green chromis :( not sure what happend to him. (i belive this was the one that had the purple bruise a few weeks ago)

the shrimp was feasting on one end of the body, and two small hermits were at the other end.

oh well, circle of life i guess.

fwiw: i did an immediate check of all params.

Temp 81
ph 8.4
salinity 1.023
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10 (down from the last water change)

all pumps are still operating normal. the water looks normal, nothing new in the tank. skimmer still producing good dark dry foam. but not lots of it, as i only feed every third day now. (for about the last month and a half)

no tell tale signs of what could have happened. only thing i can think of is residual effects from the injury a few weeks ago.

all other fish are fine.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
sorry about your chromis Jay. it sounds like there is nothing to worry about though if it was the one with the possible injury. i would just keep better eye on everyone for the next week just to be sure. if it is the one with the injury, these are the kind of deaths i can deal with. a possible cause, i hate the ones that just disappear for no reason that i can figure out.:(

G~

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well Jay for what it is worth, I had seven green chromis in my old 72 gallon bow front and ended up with only one!! It lived along time and reached maxium size!
I believe Mike had a group of schooling fish and ended up with just one! A mystery of the reef hobby I guess or the survival of the fittest!!:)

Sorry to hear of the loss though!:(

·
Registered
852 Posts
Jay, I've found chromis to be heavy feeders. Mine always have a sunken belly if I don't feed twice a day. Not sure if that is the problem but something to think about.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure if that was the cause or not. i feed every third day, and those guys sure get their fair share. i always see them nipping at rock/algae too.

the other two seem fine, no sunken bellies. but i'm keeping an eye on everything for the next few days. actually i do everyday anyway :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have 5 chromis. During the first week, 3 of them disappear mysteriously. They were no where to be found. Then last week, the fourth one stuck in the powerhead :( :(. Now I have a loner in the tank. :( :( :( He is a sole survival. I bet he could win the TV show series easily. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.