The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Day 16, amonia dropped to 0 a few days ago, Nitrite dropped to 0 yesterday and nitrate is about 30. buffer 240, I have a 20gal that I want to setup as a spare tank (hate the word sick tank) I was going to remove about 1/3rd of my live rock (most small filler peices) and put them in the 20gal tank to cycle it. That leaves 2/3 live rock, all of the live sand and 10 small damsels in the 75, I want to use the damsels to cycle my sons 55 gal tank.
The question is how much can I remove before I knock the tank out of balance. I have a few pallops, and few more really small invertibrates. I plan to put larger fish in the tank after the Damsels are removed here is the schedule.

Tonight
Moved 1/3rd scrap live rock to 20gal tank.

Sat.
Building new stand for 55, test and fill by Sunday.

Tuesday
Move Damsel to 55 along with a few pounds of live rock.

Wednesday
Start my search for a huma trigger with a good disposition maybe add a few LARGE live rocks in the 75 that is done cycling.

Am I doing anything wrong?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
your tank was cycled based on what was in it.......you take out even one rock RIGHT AWAY you will automatically throw off everything that happened in the last 16 days.......you have to let the BABY bacteria mature before you mess with it.............it is the same as adding tons of fish the day after your cycle ends .............just because its over does not mean the tank is ready..........it usually takes 3 to 6 months to stabile a tank

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cycled the tank with scrap, woul like to get that out of there nd put a larger rock in there can I add more live rock or will tht throw it off as well

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
You can remove the rock and place in the 20, That will be ok, You will have to take your time stocking it, Never want to go fast, as far as adding more live rock you can, just make sure you used cured if you can and it will adjust just fine. The twenty will cycle fast as the rock will be cured pretty much. Now is really the time to do the changes.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
r6413utah said:
That leaves 2/3 live rock, all of the live sand and 10 small damsels in the 75, I want to use the damsels to cycle my sons 55 gal tank.

Am I doing anything wrong?
Only thing I can see wrong is the use of Damsels. Unless you don't plan on adding ANY other fish to the tank. Damsels are MEAN SOB's!! and when you go to add anything else to the tank, they will more than likely beat up on it until it dies.

sorry...my opinion might be a little biased, as I HATE damsels. There's SO many other beautiful fish out there that AREN'T mean...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
get rid of the damsel period. do not use fish to cycle a tank. the LR will do it just as fast and you do not have to chase them down later when they are beating up all of your fish.

if you can find base rock use that instead of LR when adding to an established system. the rest of the LR will seed it quickly and you will not have to worry about any die off and having a small cycle.

G~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts