The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank goodness for friends like David Grigor. Here's the story.

Last weekend I took my family camping. We went to a state park and hiked in to our campsite. All was going well, and at the end of the day we retired to our tent for a good night's sleep. It was about 10:30 PM. I had my cell phone with me, and turned it on to see if there were any messages from my tank. You see I have an autodialer that calls 3 diferent numbers if there is a power outage or a temperature emergency. of course I expected no messages as usual (this was a perfect weather day), but much to my suprise there were 21 messages. I knew right away that there was a problem. I called into my system right away, and found out that the power had gone out at 4:30, but it had come back on 15 minutes later, so no problem there, right? I decided to check the tank temp, and was suprised to find it at 85. I thought, well it was a hot day, so it should be cooling off now that it's dark. I decided not to worry about it. After discussing it with my wife, I realized that due to the electronic thermostats on my exhaust fans, they would not automatically come back on if the power went out. These fans exhaust the heat from the over 4000W of light that I have in this 12'x12' room where the 600 gallon system resides. Without these fans on, the tank was basically sitting in a sauna. After realizing this, I called into my system again and checked the temp. Sure enough, it was rising. It was now at 86. So there I am in the middle of the forrest having hiked several miles in and unable to get to my tank while it is baking in an oven Well thank goodness for modern technology and great reef buddies. I called my friend David Grigor, unfortunately there was no answer, so I left a message explaining the situation and asked him to go to my house if he got the message. (Dave has a key because he often tank sits for me when I am out of town). Then I tried to get to sleep as there was nothing else I could do. when I got home the next morning, I ran to the basement to find that my tank looked fine (it was dark, because the lights don't come on until the evening). There was a note stuck to the front of it from Dave. Here is what it said:

"I didn't get your message until 12:45 AM, arrived a little after 1AM

Temp controller was reading 89

I turned off all MH (which wasn't easy to do as my electrical is not labeled well)

turned on window AC unit and reversed exhaust fans because it was very hot in the room and the outside temp was much cooler.

I emptied all of the ice from the icebox into ziplocks & placed into the sump.

I closed off the room to try and keep cool air isolated to the fish room.

2:30AM temp controller down to 87 turned off the window unit, removed melted ice bags from sump, turned fans back to exhaust, and opened the room.

the sump level was low so routed RO/DI to it and filled to safe level while I camped out on your couch for a while.

leaving at 3:50Am temp controller at 86, sump levels OK"

I checked my temp monitor, and the room temp had gotten up to 100 degrees. If Dave hadn't gotten there when he did, the tank would have easily topped 90, and I'm sure I'd have lost it all. I can't even put into words how grateful I am to Dave. He went above and beyond the call of friendship to help out a fellow reefer in an emergency. THANK YOU SO MUCH Dave!

This also goes to show that even with all the planning in the world, if you overlook one thing, disaster can result. I never considered the fact that the exhaust fans wouldn't come back on. I will be replacing these fans with simpler models that do not have electronic thermostats so that they will automatically come back on after a power failure.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope that all of you are lucky enough to have a friend like David Grigor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
wow,
I will have to rethink my it'l be ok while I am gone mentality, and get me some monitoring equipment. Glad to hear things are ok with northstar corals, you owe Dave dinner and drinks at least :)
Matt

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Wow, that is an amazing story.

Hey Bill, any chance you could share some info on your monitoring system. Sounds like it really saved the day (well, okay, David truly saved the day...err, night).

Derek

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dave

Talk about going out of the way for his hobby (maybe its more than just a hobby for Dave - I think he's got saltwater in his veins)

He volunteers to help with tanks at Augsburg, he builds a tank of his own, he sets up a tank for his church, saves Bills tank, I think he's helping JJG with the big tank he is setting up for a friend......

Dave, your going to have to start charging an hourly fee to provide your expert assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts