The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this will be a little slow at first because as you all know, a new build requires at least 2-3 days of standing there staring at the spot where it's going and scratching your head (and other bodily areas) and then another couple of days staring at the old tank and equipment doing the same scratching. But before I get going I have one question, we are going to use our 55 gallon tank as the sump, so what is the best way to put in the baffles how many and where is the best place for skimmer placement? I have heard that baffles should be 9" tall and the unders should have 2-3'' of room for water to go under. Also I am not going to have it as a fuge as I do now because i like the idea of simple clean out especially because of the new location, but I will have hermits and cheato in it. See, I told you all I would ask a lot of questions. Also we are going to get a new skimmer and I am leaning on a fission skimmer any one got feed back on these before I go blow the money on it?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Ok this will be a little slow at first because as you all know, a new build requires at least 2-3 days of standing there staring at the spot where it's going and scratching your head (and other bodily areas) and then another couple of days staring at the old tank and equipment doing the same scratching.
I have been staring and scratching my head for almost two months now. If I could have done it in 4-5 days, I would have a :beer: and I don't drink.

As for the skimmer, that has been my morning reading and I want a counter-current Geoff skimmer unless someone tells me why I don't.

Sump, can't answer you there, I still haven't finished all my reading on it. One thing I have read, a lot, is that the baffle for the air trap should be 1" off the bottom instead of 2-3". Less chance of micro-bubbles getting by it.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
The link is an excellent resource. To answer your questions, fist think about what skimmer you will be using. The footprint of the skimmer will help determine how big the input chamber (chamber that receives water directly from overflow of display tank) of the skimmer will be. Most people place their skimmer in the input chamber and most skimmers have a recommended water height to work at it's best. This recommended water height should be the minimum height of the first baffle (if you make it taller, then you will need to place the skimmer on a platform; a taller baffle gives you more water volume in the sump). For the baffles, I had mine cut from 1/4 inch plate glass (measure the inside of the tank) and the edges polished. The baffles are placed in an over, under, over formation and siliconed in place. Hope this helps.

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoang, I am going to oceans floor to see scott today and look at their tanks, did you get your skimmer there?

·
MICRO TANG
1,815 Posts
One thing to think about when planning your skimmer is future upgrade. I'd plan the sump for a larger skimmer, if you have room. This way if you ever want to upgrade your skimmer you won't have to redo your sump.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
your first baffle for you skimmer chamber should be as tall as the recommended water height for that skimmer. My skimmer is optimal at 10" of water. So my baffle for my skimmer section is 10" tall. This will always have 10" of water in the skimmer chamber, no up and down water levels for the skimmer. and less adjustments made to the skimmer. If you plan on placing the skimmer on some type of stand this will change the height of the skimmer baffle.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
David, he ordered his skimmer from Marine Solutions. you will save a bunch of $$$ ordering your skimmer online rather than the LFS. i found mine on sale at Aquacave for $190 shipped. so the two best choices i have seen is Marine Solutions and Aquacave.

BTW.. i am meeting Hoang at Oceans Floor sometime today...maybe we will run into each other

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toni, what kind do you have and is it what you've expected?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
David, he ordered his skimmer from Marine Solutions. you will save a bunch of $$$ ordering your skimmer online rather than the LFS. i found mine on sale at Aquacave for $190 shipped. so the two best choices i have seen is Marine Solutions and Aquacave.

BTW.. i am meeting Hoang at Oceans Floor sometime today...maybe we will run into each other
Correct. I ordered it online since the LFS could not match the price. David, you should meet up with us, I'd like to meet you and talk reef.

·
lets see, milk or coral?
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wewill most likely be there (oceans floor) somewhere around 2-2:30 best guess I'll be the one trying to wrangle 3 kids) hope to see you both there.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Like everyone else said, before you glue any baffles in find the exact skimmer you want and find out the optimum depth. That way you can do it right the first time.

I hope you got to meet Hoang and Tony at Oceans Floor. :)

Now I want to see the pictures of when you break out the Saws All and go to work on that wall. :thumbup:

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL... we must have missed ya.. we got there around 3, bought one of the Sera Carbonate tests... found my dKH was a little low so i dosed some Kent Super Buffer... anyway... sorry we missed ya, maybe next time

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
yep... works great... dKH was 8, so i mixed up some buffer in some Distilled TOW and dosed... gonna test again in a few minutes to see where we are... i'd like to be in the 12 range

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
yep... works great... dKH was 8, so i mixed up some buffer in some Distilled TOW and dosed... gonna test again in a few minutes to see where we are... i'd like to be in the 12 range
If you want your dKH up real fast, you can come get a few gallons of my tank water :funny:. Sounds like I may have to swing by OF and pick up a test kit myself.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL.... i grabbed the last one..LOL yeah.. i really need to bump it.. maybe a few gallons of your water wouldn't hurt..LOL

1 - 20 of 58 Posts