The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Dave who ? Dave me ?

I got my bit from ameriglass.

http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/W9.htm

Click on Catalog Index and look for the glass bits link.

I only bought the 1.75" which fits a 1" bulkhead.

For 1.5 bulkhead, typically required a 2.5" bit.

I was able to cut about 20 holes with it before it wore outs. Most of the holes were on small tanks like 20longs and 40g breeders where the glass isn't real thick.

Derek, bought his bits directly from some guy who regularly sells on ebay.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Just out of curiousity can you actually drill just about any tank?? For instance I have a 90gal AGA that has a do not drill sticker at the bottom... can it be drilled anyway??? Can I drill the bottom or the back or anywhere?

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Actually I have another question. If I have a custom glass top made for my tank (top would be 35 1/8" X 10" and 1/4" thick) would any of you know who can cut a hole for feeding in one of the corners of the glass?? 1.75" hole would be perfect!!!

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
oops I forgot, if any of you out there could actually cut the whole for the glass top, what would you charge to do it??

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Any tempered glass you can't drill. On most AGA ( excluding 55g which are made cheaply ) you can drill the sides and front/back. Before drilling the bottom of any tank and is not labeled you need to check with the manufacturer before drilling to confirm tempered or not.

I am not for sure if you can drill regular plate glass. Never tried it.

Probably a better alternative would be to use plate glass for 90% of the top and one edge or corner use acyrlic and drill through that instead of the glass. When drilling arcylic just about any hole saw made for wood will work. Glass requires a special bit....and best if you have a drill press or something to keep the bit steady.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone wanting a custom lid for your tank... I fouund a guy who will make an acrylic lid for you and can put a feeder hole with a clear cap for it for $15. That price is for my 30gal and he is making it to my specs of 35 1/8 x 10". He is also using 1/4" acrylic. If you are interested in one let me know I'll give you the number. Obviously If you need a bigger lid the price may or may not change, depending on how much bigger you need it. He is making today and will have ready tomorrow, so hopefully I can have pics of it if anyone is interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.