The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 444 Posts

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What the heck? I have some ideas I want to try and entering the contest will push me towards actually doing them ;)

I'm building a 125 Gallon system for the house and want to try building a nano from scratch for my desk at the office so this will be the one :D

Nothing in stone yet but I will be cutting my own glass and actually making the tank. Not set on size JUST YET but i know I'll be designing this around some existing equipment since it's all an experiment :D

edit:
in compliance with the rules, I'm updating the plans as needed
Instead of cutting my own glass, I've decided to order it ( much simpler )
this will be a 10 gallon tank with a false wall and a built-in sump area that will simply have a heater, return pump and an area for carbon if needed. No skimmer will be used. I will rely on water changes only to remove nutrients and debris.

I will have at least one small MiniJet powerhead for flow in the display area. Other flow will be provided by the return pump from the sump area ( a maxijet 1200 or smaller )

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have some busted tanks in the garage and a brand new glass cutter so I'll be making use of all the above :D

After I decide on the optimum size based on what lighting I have, I'm going to try to make a cube. More than likely, this is probably going to be a FOWLR tank unless the rules state otherwise?

·
196 Posts
Nice...I wish i could have a tank at work. I asked, and they said no. My first problem was asking...next time i will just do it :).

BTW, Have you thought about using low iron glass, like star fire, instead of "the scraps".

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huskey, like they say " it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission " LOL In my case, I asked permission. We're a tiny company and noone cares. To be honest, I bet noone would even know I have one. I've not seen the 'boss' in months and he's right down the hall...We're all ' stay out of each other's way" around here :D

Low iron would be nice but one goal is to use up some scraps. I hate seeing these things lying around and going to waste :(

I was going to go low iron on my 125 I'm working on but the cost of that was outrageous :O

·
196 Posts
Yeah, I know its expensive, a local guys did a smaller cube and it was still very expensive, I cannot imagine a 125.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this built. We got a storebought but at that price we could not pass it up.

Keep us posted with pictures.

The good news is that you have stuff to do for the next 300 something days. :thumbup: (well we get to sit around and watch rock cure in our living room if that counts as work).

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
edit: I am ordering precut glass because i found it difficult to cut my own.

Here's my initial diagram. I am going to make a 12X12X12 cube plus a 4X12 sump area. I am going to go measure some 10 gallon tanks today and if the dimensions are close enough, I may just purchase a tank.

Another thing I'm really going for is rimless though. Here's a question for you all. If I use 1/4" thick glass, will it be sturdy enough to be rimless? Dont think I want to eurobrace it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it too much. I was under the impression that the difference between low iron and float glass was minimal at the thicknesses used in nanos anyway. Good luck and LOTS of pictures, please. I would like to build a tank one day myself.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I wouldn't be the 'picture police' if I didnt supply pics LOL

This is a first for me. Never have built a tank from scratch..I figured this way is better than trying to do it with a 180 gallon tank LOL
The good news is that the worst possible bad news could not be nearly as bad. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
your plans look great. Kind of looks like the biocube :).... I have to much going on or I would enter into the nano contest. PICTURES lots of them.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What are you planning for the sump? Skimmer, fuge or other?
Check out my first post :D

I will have a false wall with a sump area in the back. No skimmer. I'll use a small heater and a small maxijet for a return. I'll have an area for running carbon as needed also.

I'll draw a diagram and post that :D:D

1 - 20 of 444 Posts