The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Administrator
20,538 Posts
Hey Mathias20, and welcome to TRT!

Pictures don't always show what you can actually see with your own eyes right there 24/7 with it, so sorry for the scads of questions. :unsure:

has developed a dark green looking algae on a rock. It’s now on my corals.
During water changes I can scrape some off but doesn’t go away.
Is this stuff filaments like Green Hair Algae, or flat/matting like Cyano Bacteria? And do you notice it in particular spots where you can say hmmmmmm:unsure:....that's all 'low flow'....'shaded'....'new rock/frags'?

Hack

· Administrator
20,538 Posts
Thank you. It’s a 32 Biocube about 5 months running. It was not a new tank though. I purchased used and started it back up. Standard biocube filtration. New pic.
You've had it for 5 months already, or the previous owner had it up for 5 months? And was the sand new with you or the previous owners sand? I see where you said the 'rocks were new'.....was it new dry rock, or some used rock you just bought for the system?
I am thinking stuff may have carried over some hidden 'nutrients' into your system. Just looking at your rocks, as good as I can, there appears to be diatoms and patchy 'dark spots' covering them.
If your doing water changes on it, I would think that should be bringing any 'elevated levels' down. IF you recheck your readings....Nitrates and Phosphates and they are well up there, perhaps larger water changes may be beneficial.
And starting with that rock that you have circled....I see several 'frags', .....can they be moved and the rock removed and a stiff tooth brush used in a bucket of water to scrub those patches off......and 'swish' it off before returning it to the tank? :unsure: THAT would probably help a lot.
Hack

· Administrator
20,538 Posts
I'd reuse the rock again after scrubbing it off. 'Swish'.... :unsure: .....slosh, swirl, MOVE IT AROUND in the bucket of water to get the dirt to fall off. SORRY.....people just get 'use' to certain words and phrases and forget that they may not be universal.
THANKS for getting back as quick as you are to us......so use to 'hit n run' questions and you never hear the 'follow through'. You'll get through this just fine.....pretty much 'normal'.(y)
Hack

· Administrator
20,538 Posts
Do you have a turkey baster or powerhead and try to blow off. It may help I’d it by the way it comes off or not. It looks black in the last photo.
It does appear to be that 'black matting bacteria' that you mentioned......and should be able to scrap/wipe/suck off. But pictures are tough.
Hack

· Administrator
20,538 Posts
It does look black sometimes. I do have a turkey baster. I’ve been afraid it will spread more if I have it floating around.
Try sucking it up with the turkey baster instead?
Hack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts