The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it's not too late, I'm hoping to enter. I just got a job in the aquarium industry, and everyone in the office has a nano on their desk so I figured I had to join. What I'm thinking of doing is a custom rimless aquarium around 15 gallons with a sump area able to accomodate an old prizm skimmer I have, perhaps a second chamber built like a media reactor, and a return chamber. I'm going to light it with a quad 1x96w pc bulb (MH is banned in the office :)). I'm thinking about building a tech looking fixture for the light, and over all I'd like the tank to have a clean, euro-tech look to it. With the quad powering growth in a small tank, I should be able to get some sps to grow in the upper regions. Other than that, the tank will be zoanthid and lps dominant. I am contemplating using a picotope as a refugium. On the other hand, I may just try to find a used nano/bio cube and mod it to death.

As far as stocking goes, I am thinking about an orchid dottyback. We have a large display tank in the office that is overrun by asterina stars. I am thinking about getting a harlequin and using farmed asterina's from the display to feed it. I may also put a mantis in the refugium if I can find one small enough.

I've been playing around with sketches of what I'd like to do. I'll post some later.

· Retired Wanderer
22,693 Posts
Keep it simple and sano and just do it. Can't wait for pics. :beer:

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wiskey still hasent locked the thread gosh (just messing with you whiskey)
well welcome to the build off
if you dont mind me asking what do you do in the aquarium industry
I was debating whether or not to say, but the fact that my tank would be in the office is pretty important. I recently got hired at Marine Depot as a customer service rep. I must say, it is a killer place to work. Just about everyone in the office has a pico or nano on their desk. There is an RO/DI plumbed into the kitchen sink. It is the sort of place where Julian Sprung pops by to give a lecture, a place where Anthony Calfo sends a box of autographed books for the staff to have. Every other week we have staff meetings, many of which include companies like Elos coming by to show us their products and teach us about them. Kalk and 2 part and Selcon are passed between cubicles on lunch breaks. The cool blue glow of tank light lifts from every desk. Frags are made with office scissors and passed around. We do company camping trips, and bowling nights, and BBQ's. Friday is take your dog to work day. So far, it is a dream job. They really treat their people well. We really are just a bunch of hobbyists doing what we love for other hobbyists. I used to manage a LFS, and it is the complete opposite environment. There are no pressure sales. People are told not to buy products that suck. Sometimes, it doesn't even feel like being at work, just sitting around and talking about the hobby all day.

That being said, stakes are high at a place like that to have a cool tank ;). Since I started there, I get asked every day when I'm putting my tank up. Obviously, we get great deals on equipment, so it's more about doing something cool than being the one with the most expensive toys. I won't be able to get started for about a month, but I decided to jump in before it's too late. I'm excited to be in the buildoff with my wife, seeing as there are a bunch of other couples in on it. Good luck to you all... I'm excited

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and I've already decided I'm going to go skimmerless, at least at first. With RO water at the ready, it's too easy to just do regular water changes. I also went and talked to someone today about building a custom acrylic tank for me. It's gonna look soooo clean when I get it sketched up!

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow well at least you all have something in common
do you know why mh are banned?
did you think about keeping sps under t5s?
Yeah, no doubt. The guy next to me is starting a FW planted picotope just to be "different."

MH are probably not allowed because we would all get a little crazy with it. I prolly won't run T5's cause I want to keep the tank length down, but I am considering a custom 18" t5 fixture. I would cut tek reflectors to size on a retrofit if that's possible. I think I've seen it done. The only problem with that is we don't sell 18" bulbs so I can't get a discount on them :) Most people at work are having luck growing sps under those quad 18" 96w pc's

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the job and welcome to the build off. The concept sounds great, I love the tech look.
Thanks! I love the tech look too. The new tank I'm doing at home will have the same look to it. There is just something about clean angled metallic lines framing the beauty of a reef that stands out to me.

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya cp would work
ya not to mention if every one had mh the building temp would be like 90 and a huge electricity bill
well congras on the new tank and the job
My guess is that electricity is the biggest issue. It is hot enough in the office with what we've got running now. I still think it would be cool if we could do those 70w viper ballasts. That would fit right in with my tech design.

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya those are great and the 150w runs very cool
when you say tech look are you talking about the tanks with metal frames running down the glass seams?
Not Necessarily. They do usually have black silicone. Many new tech tanks are eurobraced and some are rimless. They are usually open top. Oceanic has a "tech" series with metallic stands, black backs, and overall clean angular lines. Here's a link. Sunlight supply's Tek fixtures and Geisemann's fixtures are very "tech." Deltec's systems, while having canopies, also have a very tech look. Deltec describes their systems as the porsche of aquariums. Heres a link to Deltec Aquariums. Overall, they are influenced by modern German design, very bauhaus. I wish I had some links to tech builds that have influenced me, but my bookmarks magically disappeared a few days ago. It's a clean minimalist design. I like how the minimalism contrasts the vibrant life of a reef. I think the combination, when well done, is spectacular.

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just remembered. Many people have heard of and use Tunze equipment, but not many have seen their systems. They are very, very "tech." If you notice, their waveboxes, skimmers, ATO's, etc. all have sleek black designs. Check out their package aquariums:

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxober002

These sorts of systems are the inspiration for my builds.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.