The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few days a go, i moved my 20 nano reef to make room for my 75rr. i placed the trumpet corals ontop of some branched tonga liverock when i finished resetting up the tank. the tonga lr has a couple of ricordea mushroom attached at the bottom, growing nicely. well the coral toppled over the other night, and landed right smack dab in the middle of all those shrooms. i didn't even notice it at first cuz i work most of the night. well yesterday it got my attention. i saw that it wasn't where i had placed, and thought i saw what looked like red carpet algea blooming on it, so pick it to move it back, and then i saw a few pieces of what i thought was red algea, but it was the coral meat flaking off...

bummer

when i first got it, it had only 4 heads growning, recently the heads started to split and grow new trumphets, i was up to 6, and the 7th was just forming, when this all happened. now it looks like at least 1 trumphet head is gone, another is critically wounded, one of the double headed trumphets looks like it will survive, and the other double headed trumphet avoided most of the serious damage, and is going to pull thru this orderal fine. its just bums me out, having this happen to one of my favorite corals....

i'll discard the dead heads off the cluster, and start over with just the remaining trumphets.....

:(

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Your trumpet should be just fine! I had a BTA touch three new heads on my trumpet and they did not look good but moved the trumpet to another spot and the three new heads recovered nicely. Amazing what corals can do!:)

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
I've "rescued" a few trumpets that looked to far gone. They're a lot tougher than most people give them credit for. I wouldn't go chopping off "dead" heads just yet. I had one come back from practically no tissue at all.

Danielle

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! i will keep an eye on it for next few days, and see if the rest of it can recover!
:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts