The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ummm, since my light upgrade, added another pc for double the wattage to 130watts, ive been getting a whole lot of brown on the sand. i asked my lfs, and he said its normal for a diatom bloom when you upgrade your lights. ok, so a week later, it all over my rocks and the brown sand has bits of red on it. also, my two anemones are acting up. when i first got um, one would take longer to balloon up than the other. the other would open up and look healthy as soon as the lights turned on. now they both take longer to open. My wrassie fied two days ago, so i had all of my water paremiters checked. clean, not one thing wrong. no phosphates, nothing. my other 3 fish seem healthy and not acting weird. is there n e thing i could do to get the diatoms out of there? o and another thing, i've been using purple up ust as long as my neighbor has been. its been working great for him, but i dont see n e coraline algae on my rocks. as you could imagine, this combination of things has got me pretty frustated, and i just got fired. n e information would be greatly appreciated. tanks

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Yes it's normal to have a diatom bloom after a lighting upgrade.

Please test your water and post the parameters, we might be able to spot something in those.

Also, what size tank is it, how long has it been running and what are the current inhabitants?

What species of anemone? How long have you had them? Are you feeding them?

What sort of wrasse died, and how long did you have it?

More info please - hopefully we can help.

BTW - the algae bloom is not likely to have had anything to do with the anemones' behavior or the wrasse dying. Algae, while unsightly, is relatively harmless.

Jenn

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
amm 0 trite0 trate 5, phosphate 0 saltiness 1.023 thats all i know o right now. is there n e thing i can do to boost the removal of the brown, i was told that it would go away on its own. i have a regal tang, clown, and goby, 2 purple tip anemones. one rock with a whole bunch of star polyps on it, and one tree sponge. been about 2 1/2 months. its a 29gal.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I'd say patience. How long is your photoperiod?

If you don't have any snails and/or hermits, you could add a few to help with cleanup - otherwise, the bloom *will* pass.

Jenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts