The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in my 8 gallon biocube i have had this cynao problem....I have tried everything i can think of; hermits, snails, Algaefix.....its really ugly and i would like to get rid of it...anybody have any ideas?:help:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Check out the pest and hitchhikers forum. There is a cyano thread there, it had been suggested to black out the tank for 3 days to kill off the cyano. I think a 4th day would have done the trick.

There are some before and after pics too. I dont know if there's a big difference, but my problem was in a FW tank.

·
originally original
975 Posts
Vacuum it out when you see it. Get those nutrients before they turn into something worse (hair algae).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am using ro/di water that has salt in it from my LFS. if you wanna know, my water params as of saturday are

SG; 1.025
pH; 8.0
'Trite; 0 ppm
'Trate; 0 ppm(took lots of work to get it there, lol)
Ammonia; 0 ppm
Calcium; 450 ppm

also loverotties; whats TDS if i may ask

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
have you been siphoning out your sand when doing water changes? how much have you been feeding the tank? in tanks of that size i find it easier to run it bare bottom so that you can get to all of the loose detritus for easy removal. the more detritus left in the system the more likely you will have cyano/hair algae problems.

G~

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm i have not been siphoing out my sand...i have been considering goin bare bottom, i guess im neverous for some reason...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Have you tried increasing flow over the problem area? Cyano doesn't do well in high flow.

Also, API Algaefix doesn't touch cyano. Cyano actually isn't algae, it's bacteria. Often Algaefix will actually cause a cyano outbreak because it kills algae in your tank, causing it to release nutrients

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Umm i have not been siphoing out my sand...i have been considering goin bare bottom, i guess im neverous for some reason...
If you have been thinking about it, then you can start now by siphoning out some of the sand during each water change. Do not remove it all at once, but do it over 3 or 4 water change cycles and everything should be fine. Once it is bare bottom you will be able to see the junk you need to siphon out. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
New Tank? Expect it! It's part of the cycle. Being a scientist I believe in chemical warfare - I reccomend Chemiclean - following the direction.

As Always,

I Am Symbiotic

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see a cyano outbreak in every new tank.

I have not had one in my main SW tank, I am guessing its because I use RO water.

I did notice some cyano developing in my SW Q/T today, I used treated tap water in that tank. I also use tap in my FW tank and that had a pretty bad cyano outbreak recently. There must be something in my tap water.

I was getting bad water from a LFS so next time your there, take a good look at the tanks, see if you see any problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I second the black out method. I was able to get rid of my cyno and my Red slime algea with a 2 day blackout.

How does this affect the corals already in the tank? That's like the longest eclipse ever in the sea world...LOL. And I'm being serious. I have a cyno problem and am willing to try this if there is no adverse affect on my corals...

·
Registered
835 Posts
How does this affect the corals already in the tank? That's like the longest eclipse ever in the sea world...LOL. And I'm being serious. I have a cyno problem and am willing to try this if there is no adverse affect on my corals...
i am also curious will anemones and corals be all right for 3-4 days with total darkness?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I lost no corals, at the time i Had 2x kenya trees some gsp. zoas. and xenia. Im actually doing another blackout right now to try and get rid of my gha.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
black out method is only a temp fix . once the lights get turned back on it will come back . turning out the lights doesn't remove the added nutrients that is causing the problem in the first place .
i also agree with checking your lfs water supply . just remember you need to get a reading without the salt mix in .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts