The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
setting up new biocube 29 new to the hobby. just a quick question. tank began one week ago. 25 lbs cured live rock from lfs (with some coraline algae already present) thirty lbs caribsea live sand. one thumb nail size of raw fish (as per advice from brightwell aquatics representative). let everything run for a week and decided to test today to get an idea of cycle progress. im including a pic of the api test b/c i cant make sense of it and yes i know its color coded. do i have some ammonia but no nitrite but a lot of nitrate (seems like if i have ammonia i should have nitrite?). or no ammonia and no nitrite and a lot of nitrate i.e. cycle completed? I'm not seeing any diatom or algae bloom. help would be greatly appreciated. included pics of test and tank. thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Patience, you're only in this for a week!! Trust me on this, you will have cyano, algae, and diatoms to your hearts content, but even the bad stuff takes more than a week to grow. This is a very slow hobby and can't be rushed. Give your tank 4 or 5 more weeks to balance out. Welcome to the reef

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not rushing

No problem waiting. I just want to aquaint myself with the tests so when I'm stocked I know what I'm doing. I used ro di water. My understanding was that nitrates are the end of the nitrogen cycle. So i shouldnt see ammonia and nitrates but no nitrites. Make sense ? Just some help interpreting the results. Thanks again.

·
Biggest Fishy
351 Posts
Your question makes sense... to answer your question...There is probably another source for the nitrates... RO/DI with 0 tds nitrates should be at 0...

Its probably from the live Rock... or you could have a bad test kit...
You could take your water to the LFS to get tested to verify your kit's reading

Like others have suggested.. have patience for 3 more weeks and test again...You will know for sure as soon as diatoms pop up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. did you see the pics?

My first question is am I interpreting the results correctly.
I intend on testing again in a few days for a comparison to see if anything is moving. I also considers nitrates came from rocks and sand and that ammonia is positive because cycle is now starting therefore I should see a rise in nitrite soon. I'm still planning on just waiting it out. I guess my only question is does the cuc come after cycle is complete or before?

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
and diatoms signal end of cycle? Its kind of crazy to anxiously await an unwelcome guest,no?
diatoms signal the end of the nitrogen cycle... and the beginning of the cycle of getting your tank to be 'established'

get the CUC when you need them, when they will have food to eat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts