The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm working on my third tank and the cycle is close to being done. My question is does the nitrate actually go to zero by its self or is this achived by water changes? My other two tanks I just did a water change to get it to zero, but seems like my nitrate levels stay around 20 ppm or so. So should I just leave my new tank alone and let it take care of the nitrate its self or what? Its around 80 right now. Ammo and nitrite are zero now. Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone answer this? Will the nitrates go away by its self? Or should I just do a major water change?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I understand Nitrate the last part of the cycle is usually handled by water change. Is less toxic than the others as Amonia and Nitrite. Likely are filters to reduce, but correct water change perhaps easiest. Won't go away by itself, are beneficial things as careful on overfeeding. Again some water change is all that's needed.

Personally I do a week, now trying a 10 day period between changes, not much over 10 percent, but issues than do a 2nd change day or two later only if some correction needed. My system reaching 10 months.

Hopefully you'll receive more info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts