The Reef Tank banner

Cycling question for new reef tank

713 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  55350man 
#1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post re my first reef tank. I have found a lot of great info here so I figured I'd post my questions.

I recently drilled a tank for overflow and returns. Made custom sump and plumbing. I purchased LR and LS and began the cycling process. 3 days into it the back of my tank cracked badly. I put my LR and LS in 5gal buckets on my balcony (was pretty cold, 40deg F or so). As it was a middle-of-the-night emergency thing, it took me a few days to find another tank (ended up with a reef ready oceanic rimless off craigslist). I have now had the LR and LS cycling in this new tank for the past 5 days. (Fyi - The rock is Fiji, shipped to me in box of 50lbs. Came in plastic bags with moist newspaper and cardboard...came out smelling like mildew so I figured that was good that it was still wet at least). Per recommendation of the previous tank owner (had a very healthy system and seemed very knowledgeable), I kept some of the filter media that he was using in the sump (Eshopps RS-100) and his filter sock. The idea being that keeping these used items would give me good bacteria (also have a powerhead w a lot of coralline algae and the overflow itself I left without cleaning too well). I tested the 2nd day in the new tank and ammonia and nitrites were at 0 and nitrates were at 15. Tested again the 5th day and the same results. I'm now debating whether to jump start the cycle with a shrimp or Dr Tims stuff or something. Total time the LR and LS has been in water is 3days old tank, 3 days buckets on balcony, and 5 days new tank. During the bucket time there was no circulation or water and it was really cold. My questions are these:

1 - Taking into account the bacteria that is on his filter sock and media in sump, will my cycle be a mild one? or should I expect a huge ammonia spike soon?

2 - Did the time in stagnant and cold water possibly kill all the good stuff in the rock (there was a lot of matter in the buckets afterward) which will now seriously delay the nitrogen cycle because I lost all that ammonia?

3 - Do you recommend jump starting the cycle with something like shrimp?

Thank you in advance for your help.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd toss in a shrimp, the uncooked raw kind with no preservatives.....and just let it vanish. Let the cycle do its thing. There's no such thing as a magic cycle as much as we wish there was, lol. Its such fun going to the fish store and buying stuff but not always a great idea. At any rate, shrimp cycle and in a few weeks time your tank should be cycled. Don't do water changes, run your lights if ya want, let the shrimp totally dissolve.

#4 ·
Welcome to TRT!

:wavey:

LR is shipped dry. this is normal, saves on shipping costs. corals also are sometimes shipped dry.

while you are waiting for the tank to do its thing i would start reading through the Reefkeeping Made Easy thread.

G~

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have read a lot about patience with the cycling process and completely agree with that approach. My biggest concern was that I lost all the ammonia needed in the "die off" from my LR when it was in buckets outside and so I would need to jump start the process with something....and if I didn't I might be just waiting and waiting but don't have anything to start the cycle left in my LR. So I'm thinking I should start it with a shrimp as I have read many others say.

The other question I still have is about the previous filter materials. How much does this actually help the process? Will I still see the big ammonia spike with the cycle since I have this good bacteria transferred from the old tank? If so, wouldn't that mean the tank is already cycled if there was enough bacteria in that media to handle the ammonia from the LR? and if this is the case, would there be enough bacteria to handle starting things off with a cleanup crew now? or should I still jump start with shrimp?

Thanks again,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.