The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay im fishless cycling my freshwater tank with fish food. my nitrites are barely starting to rise, so i must have an ammonia spike(my test strips dont have an ammonia tester). but anywho, my tank smells like dirty laundry. could it be the ammonia spike? or the fish food thats breaking down in it?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
If your nitrites are "barely" starting to rise, then you should have ammonia as well, which could cause the smell. You can also buy pure ammonia and add that to your tank (very small amounts) to get the cycle going, it should go faster that way. There is a thread on here telling how to cycle with adding ammonia to your tank. good luck!

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
My tank made my whole entire room smelly when I cycled it, theres nothing wrong :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha alright cool. i have another question. should i keep adding ammonia(fish food) to the tank or should i stop? when should i stop adding it?

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
hmm, never thought fish food as ammonia, but I have no idea :(

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
did you just mistype freshwater, or are you setting up a freshwater tank. just trying to figure out the smell. sometimes saltwater tanks can get a low tide smell, but i would not describe it as dirty laundry. though FW tanks can give off a woodsy smell, that i would think would be closer to the dirty laundry smell.

G~

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah its a freshwater tank. im doing freshwater for now untill i gather enough knowledge and money for a saltwater tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I cooked around 75lbs of live rock in the living room...

Yeah, wife was not impressed with the hobby of saltwater for the following couple of months.

Couldn't imagine freshwater smelling anywhere near as bad unless you let it sit stagnate for way too long.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
hmm, I was just wondering, isn't cooking rock even more smelly than the smell of a cycling freshwater tank? I've cooked rock before and it smelled horrible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts