The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm very new to this website so I'm still trying to figure out how everything works. I have been doing freshwater for years, and a few days ago I set up my first saltwater tank so I have a few questions. First, the specs. - 37 gallon, tall, 30" HO dual light, 2 pieces of live rock, 2 base rock, 25 lbs of live sand, 70 gallon filter, 2 medium powerheads. Ok, now on to the questions -

1)How long should the cycle take?
2)When can I add inverts? I heard right away but I really doubt that.
3)What types of corals and fish would be best for my tank?
4)Can I add anemones and star fish in a tank this size?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I am not really sure about how long it takes it really depends on what you have in your tank.

You can add inverts pretty quickly not sure on exactly when but they are almost always the first in a tank.

Depends on how you want your tank. Some good starter corals are mushrooms, Xenias, Kenya trees and there are more I am sure they can list. As for fish I am still learning all that. Liveaqauria is a website that most people on this forum recommend for finding information on particular corals/inverts/fish.

As for an anemone most people say to wait a year for your tank to stabilize and for you to really get a hang of it, I did it early am done sometimes wonder if I should have waited or not. The hardest thing is to just sit and wait to add stuff to your tank. I have that problem all the time and also looking for stuff corals fish etc when you know you don't have room/money or what not. As for starfish it really depends there are many different kinds of starfish. But one kind just about everyone ends up with us the bristle star(don't quote me on that) which are good at keeping the tank clean. You just have to watch out how big the starfish get and if they are reef safe or not.

I don't think I missed anything. Hope I didn't overwhelm you. Oh and btw Welcome to TRT!!!

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
How long the cycle takes can vary. Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite when they peak and drop to 0 then the tank is cycled.
You will need some food for the bacteria to multiply, ghost feeding or a piece of raw table shrimp will do.
You need to wait till the ammonia and nitrite 0 before adding any live stock.
Below is a link to a good source of information on tank size and compatibility.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/15/marine-fish

There is a filter on the left that you can use to select things like tank size.
It is best if you are going to try an anemone to wait until the tank is well established as they need very stable water quality. It is generally recommended to wait close to a year. They are considered to be "Expert" level animals.
As for Sea Stars the brittle stars do very well, probably the best in salt water tanks,
there are others that don't do well at all. Many stars it is not even know what they actually eat. If you decide to get a star (you should do this with all live stock you consider purchasing) research well before you buy.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Oh and btw if you are going to mix you own water I definitely recommend getting an rodi system it will get all the total dissolved solids out of your water and will prevent you from having problems with that in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked up at 37 topfin aquarium yesterday from petsmart (willing to bet its the same tank as you because its on sale at the moment). I am in a very similar situation as you, couple years of freshwater experience but no salt yet.

Will be returning to this post frequently to chime in since we are in a similar setup! GOod luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts