The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8 gal biocube it is very new like less than a week, and i have live rock and some yellow pollyps along with two small chromis. Is there anyway to speed up the tank cycling so i can get my water readings right as far as ammonia (needs to be way lower) nitrate, nitrite, and the ph is fine.

Thanks all,

Marcus

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
Marcus, your lfs does probably sell bio boosters, they do accelerate the process of your cycle9just be careful buying the super acceleraters). But your live rock and ls is enough to cycle, with that in your tank, it will only take about 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Do not waste your money on any ridiculous bio crap. Patience is the key and luckily it's cheap.

If the ammonia is dangerously high then do a water change. There is no truth to the myth that it will delay the cycle or cause any issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
base rock cycling?

would if you only had base rock in your tank? How exactly would you cycle it appropriately? sorry im new at this and just wondering.... thanks

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
It would be no different than cycling with sand. There are critters and hitchikers attached the live rock that have alot of benifical biological uses that cycle the tank. The sand is the same, but has mostly bacteria. Is the reason you ask is that you have a bare-bottom tank?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Even with dry base rock, dry sand and newly mixed saltwater the bacteria will appear and the tank will cycle. This is how it was done years ago when tanks used dry crushed coral and dead coral skeletons for decoration and new bioballs in the wet/dry filter. Sometimes it takes a little longer but eventually the bacteria does develop.

Adding some live sand or rock from an existing system will help but if you don't have any access to these thing, your tank will still cycle in it's own time.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
can i do anything to speed up or help the cycle? Like adding bacteria or a yellowtailed damsel... i need all the help i can get
A piece of liverock or some sand from an established tank. There are no miracles in a bottle. Time and patience are the key.

Using fish to cycle a tank is not necessary and considered cruel nowadays.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
so how long will this cycle take for a 100 gallon tank
Impossible to guesstimate that. You monitor ammonia/nitrite levels daily and after they spike and then decline to zero, your bacteria is established enough to start stocking lightly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A piece of liverock or some sand from an established tank. There are no miracles in a bottle. Time and patience are the key.

Using fish to cycle a tank is not necessary and considered cruel nowadays.

If i am using a live rock to cycle, is most of the nice purples and greens and pinks and dark purples going to die off of the rock? also will the yellow pollyps die that are on that same rock as well?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This isn't a thread for that question. I started this thread for the topic of cycle with live rock. ( you might want to start another thread or find one about that topic already)

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Your yellow polyps and coralline algae won't die off the rocks much if you use lighting during your cycle. As I understand it, the higher ammonia levels mostly affect fish. Most hitchhikers in the way of coralline and corals I've had on live rock during cycling have always survived as long as I've used lighting. However, if you are lighting your tank during your cycle you will usually have a big algae outbreak near the end of the cycle process. It's not a terrible thing at least though. Nothing a cleanup crew and a few water changes can't handle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello everyone, sorry im typing this on here but im new and idk what to do on here,
i have a new 25 gal tank wich im cycling now going into the 4th day, it just got abit cloudy but i know thats normal and will go away i dont have a test kit cuz i cant find any but i hear of a place and gonna go check tomrow morning,
my main problem is that my friend and his parents gave me a pair of clown fish a few days that i have left at a friend of mine that works at a fish store, but when his boss found out he told me that i could only keep it for a week (( i forgot the reason ))
but i know im not supposed to stock the tank yet... what to do? i really cant tell my friend that i wanna give back the gift... i wanna keep the fish cuz they mean alot to me but idk what to do .. can u help :) please?
once again i am very sorry for posting this on here..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts