The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been cycling my frag tank for I guess about a week now. I have some littleneck clams in there from the grocery store and what I do is use about 3 gallons every friday from my main tank when I do a water change on the main tank, and add it to the frag tank. I also have added some caulerpa and yada-yada-ya. Today I added 12 smaller astrea snails to it also. Only paid 6 bucks for all of them, but still I figured that it might help. Should any of this help to cycle the tank faster? Not to mention the fact that it already has 4 inches of aragalive sand in it.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
the clam from the store, will do it. once the cycle starts from the dead clam you should see spikes. if the snails are still a live you might want to place them in your main display until the tank is ready.
if you are using sand in yoru main dispaly take out a few cups and add it to the frag tank. that will help it. then duct tape your hands:D

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but when will that happen? I have caulerpa growing in there, and the 3 clams have been in there about 10 days now. Every single one of them is actually eating when I slightly feed the tank with phyto. So when will the bad stuff kick in? If you are using a plethra of bacteria fulled items, I dont see how a tank could possibly cycle. Even the water changes for that tank have some sand and water from my display tank. So far the only thing that I have is nitrates. Around 15 ppm or so.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
using pure ammonia helps speed up the cycling process, but this is only if you have LR in the tank only. the ammonia from the critter wastes is all you are looking for anyway when dealing with the "cycleing" the tank everyone is talking about. we will not get into rest of the cycle that can take up to a year to complete, but i am sure you already know about why it takes that long to bring a tank to maturity.

G~

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
your adding water from your main tank, there is not a large amount of bacteria in the water column, its mainly on the sand and rocks and such. when you use your old water, your just adding nitrAtes, not ammonia, the ammonia is already broken down by the beneficial bacteria in your other tank. when you do a water change on the new tank, do it the same as your other. just take 10-20% water out, and replace with new fresh mix. not old water from your display. if you want to start it faster. take the live animals out and add ammonia, or some dead shrimp for the grocery store. but TAKE THE LIVE ANIMALS OUT FIRST. right now the couple live clams and snails arent producing hardly any ammonia. it will take forever if you keep dumping nitrates in too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts