The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my LFS about some LR and the stuff they had in their tanks did not have much coralline growth on it, and he said during your cycle you'll need to dose with some calcium and some stuff called purple up which would make my coralline all come out. I've never heard of dosing during a cycle but maybe I just haven't been paying attention very well. Anyone else heard of this? Is it necessary?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
we discussed purple up in one of our reef club meetings. The "pro" said that it was a waste of money, and the meeting host showed us that he just pours epson salts into his sump and it does the same thing. It just depends on who you ask, some people swear by it...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
it is not a good idea to dose anything that you can not test for. all that is really necessary for good corraline growth is Ca and alk. with a good test kit and a good two part additive this should not be a problem. it does take time though for corraline to get going.

when dosing a tank only follow the directions once. then 24 hours later test to see what has happened. from then on dose according to your test results. never add without testing beforehand.

G~

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
and the meeting host showed us that he just pours Epsom salts into his sump and it does the same thing.
Isn't this a magnesium supplement?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Like Geoff said, keep akl and CA hight, provide good water quality , and coraline should take off. Ca should be about 450.

·
Registered
524 Posts
whatevva said:
Isn't this a magnesium supplement?
I think the main part of it is Mg sulfate, that would make sense since corraline needs Magnesium to grow.

My only worry with adding epsom salt would be adding too much magnesium.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts

Here is what im useing It says 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons I use about 1/2 that every day its a 2 part additive...anyone use this?
Joe

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Purple up does contain Mg. Mg is important, but is a lot easier to maintain than alk and Ca. i have a Mg test kit, but have never had to dose Mg. it maintains a good level with water changes. adding to much Mg will cause you Ca levels to plumett. major water change is the only way to fix this.

G~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts