The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cyanobacteria problem, its covering my rocks and sand. I have a 75gal tank, i have corals and two clown fish with a marineland c-360 filter and a reef octopus skimmer. I have 3 hydor power heads, one is 1500 gph , 850 gph, and 600 gph. I have the 1500gph facing slightly downwaRd toward the front of the tank, the 850 on the opposite end of the tank facing upward toward the top of the tank and towrd the back and i just placed the 600gph on the back of the tank facing the front. Ive have searched for a month and tried basically everything I have read. Also I have a store ab an hr away a they are very knowledgable but I still haven't been able to get rid of it. I replaced all bulbs and have tried less light, also I have tried different flow with my powerheads, my phosphates and all other test come out almost perfect. I'm stumped on what to do. I really don't want to add chemicals. Thanks in advance. Jeremy

·
Registered
274 Posts
Problem= excess nutrients (NOT FLOW)

Solution: remove source of nutrients (nutrients test for zero when the bacteria are using them up so quickly)

The source could be your sandbed and rock (easier to do barebottom for starters)

The source could be lack of nutrient export (water changes/ skimming)

The source could be overfeeding the fish and coral (excess amphipods or bristleworms)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts