The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and checked a few threads but couldn't find an answer...can sunlight cause cyano? Thanks.

J

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on what you mean by "using"...actually, I'm moving my tank tonight. I made a bad choice in where I put it(near french doors to the backyard) and the kids leave the curtains open all the time and it's getting sunlight. The reason I asked is because the cyano is only on one side, the glass door side. It's a 12g nano, so I did a big water change and bought a maxi-jet 1200 and split the output to add flow to that area. I'm hoping moving the tank will be the key(to a dark corner).
J

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked because I saw some posts that said it could be too much lighting, lack of flow, overfeeding. The overfeeding and lack of flow make sense as far as excess nutrients go, just didn't know about the lighting.
J

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
if the sun is coming in from the back of the tank maybe a nice aquarium background is in store :)
they come is solid colors of blue and black

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's one of those nano cubes, so it's all setup as far as the background goes. I'm making the move tonight anyhow.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
might be water quality i just started and outbreak to. i have two tanks one is a 60G and the other is a 24G nano cube. I put in some top of water into my 60G and my nano cube does not need that much but i notice as soon as i put in some of it in i started getting it in there too. i think i am gona change were i get my RO water from :(

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
like platy has said, nutrients cause cyano, not sunlight. if you are having a cyano problem, than you are not exporting nutrients as fast as you are importing them. what kind of skimmer are you using. do you siphon detritus when you do water changes? can you reach all of your SB when siphoning detritus?

sunlight/old bulbs are a cop-out excus for those that do not want to face the truth. ;)

G~

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one of the rear chambers set up as a refugium with chaeto and one with chemipure. As far as skimming, I just use what I got with the tank, that little cassette deal.

I do siphon out as much detritus as possible and it does seem to settle in the corner where the cyano is building up. My method is that I siphon a bunch of sand into the siphon and pinch it of right before it reaches the top, causing the sand to drop back down and all the nasty stuff to kind of float there, then release the pinch sucking out the bad stuff. My problem is that some of the larger detritus is just as heavy as the sand and I'm having trouble getting it out without removing half of the sand with it. Any suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts