The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 30 gallon reef tank that has an explosion of cyano and green hair algae everywhere, at first i thought more water changes would help but that hasnt seemed to fix the problem it want as bad a month ago when i had a bi color blenny but i guess my flame hawk thought he would make a better meal than a janitor i ahve tried chemi clean but it just comes back, im to the point where i want to take out all the rocks and scrub them with a brush but that seems like an awful lot of work if it just returns i have read in some threads that some of you say that additives could contribute to this problem i have used Reef Vital DNA for some time now because i started using it when one of my fish got ick and it claims to keep it from sticking to them and eventually the goby got better. i continued to use it because it seemed to accelerate my coraline algae growth at an amazing rate but could it be contributing to my cyano problem, and has anyone ever tried to use potassium permanganate to treat this or is that a really bad idea?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
I wouldn't ! what is your water perimeters! got to have hi trates and/or phoshate.Do big water changes to help as long as your water doesn't have them too!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Be sure you are not overfeeding your tank or feeding foods that have high phosphates in them such as flake or pellett food or adult brine shrimp. If you are feeding too much too often this will compound the problem as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i try to only feed my fish live brine shrimp becasue my logic was if they are swimming they cant fall to the bottom and go uneaten, is that a bad idea also i know part of the problem is my skimmer i have a sea clone 100, the problem is that it works for a day and then no more foam because it develops an air bubble at the top curved part of the down pipe and i cant seem to get it out how can i fix that or is this just the worst skimmer ever made i have heard that they are very hard to deal with and that you have to tinker with them daily but i cant get the air pocket to go away. also should i quit using DT's???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts