The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about selling my 120. Having three big tanks is just too much, and none of them are really getting the attention they deserve.

If any Floridians are interested, here are the specs (if the tank is sold off in parts, the fish, coral and live rock would have to be sold first):

120g AGA with megaflow overflows
100 lbs of live rock
Oak AGA stand
30g glass sump (custom made by Exotic Aquariums in Miami)
Iwaki MD55-RLT
Iwaki MD40-RLT – drives a Precision Marine Bullet 3
(I also have a Precision Marine Bullet 2 and an Iwaki MD-70RLT
I’ve never used).
About a half dozen eductors
Pair of 6100 Tunze Streams (with magnet-holders) on a multicontroller
Geo 6x12 Calcium Reactor (all it needs a new solenoid)
Two PFO Mini Pendants with a dual 250-watt HQI ballast (the 10,000K
Ushios in the pendants are about a year old).

Livestock:

One 4” Foxface
One 4” Virgatus Rabbitfish
Four Blackcap Damsels

A big, healthy Pocillopora (about the size of a small football)
A big, healthy green-yellow Pavona
A medium-sized, healthy pink Pocillopora

The other critters in the tank I’d, probably, transfer to my other tanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There was a minor event last night, which has prompted me to keep my 120 running. It had to do with my Bullet 3 going bonkers and dumping about 30 gallons of water onto the floor.

A used Bullet 3 and an unused Bullet 2 are still on the auction block, along with a pair of Iwaki MD40-RLTs and an Iwaki MD70-RLT. I'm going to keep everything else.

No more beckett skimmers for me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You never got the ping pong ball collector cup did you??
Actually, I did. My first flood occurred when the ping pong ball collector failed to stay shut. It just bounced, sloshed, bounced, sloshed, etc. for hours until I finally woke up and fixed it (why floods always occur at night, I have no idea).

Did you ever see the one Greg built out of a five gal bucket and a toilet flapper?
I didn't see that.

In any case, combining the heat, noise, and high energy demand from the Iwaki MD40, along with two floods in two years, I've had enough. My other two tanks have in-sump EuroReef skimmers, which work just fine. They don't have the power and versatility of a beckett, but they do get the job done.

I'm going to get a EuroReef RS100 and put it in the sump. Looks like I'll be going skimmerless until it arrives.

My two old-timers should do ok. I've had them for three years, now, and they've put up with just about everything and still thrived. They're about as tough as those damsels:

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
the best thing i did was too put everything in the garage . the other evening we get home , open the garage door and water is trickling out . some how the carbon bag managed to float and plug the first sump , which caused sump two to think the water was low and preceided to drain all 12 gallons of top off water which caused sump 1 to overflow . and then there was the time ....
i don't know how you managed to run three tanks as long as you did ! hope some one is able to help you out jack ! i know you could have gotten whisk to purchase the tunzes had you posted a week earlier !

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m used to spilling some water on the floor. That’s why all my tanks are on a tile floor. But a 30-gallon flood is a bit much. Once I can handle. Twice? For the same reason? Not acceptable. Unfortunately, the tanks are too far away from the garage to have anything sit out there, so everything has to stay in the house.

Anyway…

Early this morning (4:30 am), after I turned off the skimmer pump, refilled the sump back up with a fresh batch of salt water (fortunately I had 30 gallons handy), turned back on the main circulation pump and started to mop up the floor I was thinking to myself…

It sure is quiet.

Maybe I shouldn’t admit it, because then I’ll never be able to get rid of them, but those Iwaki MD40s are loud. The MD55 (at least the one I have) is nearly silent, by comparison. I’ve had two MD40s and they both made the same amount of noise. And, boy, do they add heat to the water. I, routinely, had the cooling fans over the tank come on in the middle of the night just to keep the water temp below 81. With the MD40 off all day today, the cooling fans haven’t turned on once.

The cooler water temps, or the disturbance early the morning, or something…, caused something in the tank to spawn this evening. I never found out what it was, but there were clouds of eggs and the damsels were having a ball.

Now that the tank is quiet and cool, and apparently still healthy enough to support a spawning event, I think I’m going to keep it. The Precision Marine skimmers, however, are history. It’s 100% EuroReef from now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts