The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the bulbs on my 125's hood but the acrylic splash lens has whelped up where the MHs are over it so I can't get the splash lens out. First, how do I get the old lens out? I'm guessing it'll have to be cut out but what do I use to cut it? Second, would I be ok running the hood without a lens? I don't think it is a good idea but someone suggested it so I thought I'd ask.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
without seeing the situation it is hard to suggest anything. acrylic warps pretty easily under mh's if it is thin. usually lenses around mh's are glass due to this fact. i use a jig saw to cut acrylic. you may need to drill a start hole.

G~

·
Registered
808 Posts
depending on how thin and dried out the acrylic is , it might actually just crack and fall apart when you try to take it out. otherwise, yes drill a hole and stick a jigsaw to it. if youre careful and know what youre doing you can put it on a table saw of use a circular saw or even use a router.

hth

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Its probabaly dry and brittle tin snips would take it out fast:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. What about replacing it? Would a piece of glass that thin work? Maybe multiple pieces so they are lighter and easier to slide in. I'm not comfortable without something there since the MHs are only 10-12" from the water. Of course I don't know how much the acrylic will cost.If it isn't very high I wouldn't mind replacing it when I replace the bulbs every time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If your MH's are 10-12" from the water, you should be fine without any kind of cover. Mine are about 10" and no cover with no problems at all. Hope this helps

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Studly, I think you'd be better off getting some thin glass to replace the acrylic. If it's going to be a real long piece, just have the glass cut into 2 sections. It's much easier to clean and won't need to be replaced (as long as you don't break it). This is what I did with my 75 gal...the acrylic/plexi covering warped, and the salt spray "baked" into the acrylic as well, making it nice and hazy.
HTH,
Derek

·
Registered
1 Posts
My MH bulbs are 8" from the water, no problem! Cutting the acrylic is another problem, I use a rotary/zip saw, works well

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
AquaticCo said:
I always recomend tempered glass.
i agree. not real fond of plate glass for anything that could be jostled or handled more than 1 a year.:D just to fragile for my tast.

petedoc-Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

G~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts