The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after much thought I think I have a plan in mind for how to kill two birds at once. I have been trying to plan an over/under refug for my 75gal, putting everything into a 29gal sump/refug. I have a new idea and want some input... just keep in mind this is version 1 of an idea that needs more planning before I start anything :read:

So, the new idea is to put a cube refug tank beside my current 75. First step is to find a cube that is the same hight as the 75. I can not put a huge tank beside it due to limited wall space. Since the 75 is 21" tall I could do a 21"x18"x21", make it match the 75 perfectly. Since it will be a display tank I want it to be glass. Question is how hard is glass to work with? I have done a bit of acrylic work successfully, but want the cube to match the 75. As of yet I have not found a pre-made cube. I do not think I would want the new tank to be drilled.

Give my simple drawing a gander, let me know what you think. At this point I am just gathering thoughts. The 29gal tank with the pumps/skimmers/etc would be in the stand, I would have to make a new stand to match / extend the current stand.

New_Design_ver1.jpg

erick..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
version 2

OK, after talking to a few folks I decided that I should not use a siphon U between the tanks. If it ever lost siphon I could have a really bad mess. Soooo on to version 2 of my idea. I changed the height of the refug tank a tad so I could just drill a hole or two and let the water free flow from the refug into the 75gal. From calling around I could have 3/8ths inch glass custom cut with the two holes for around $250, not sure of the price for a complete aquarium.

Does anyone know where I can find the fake wood trim that Oceanic puts around the top and bottom of their tanks?

Attachments

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
why do you want a refugium?

i will just start out by saying i am known as the refugium hater here. :D i have done refugiums in the past so i can help you, just would like to inform you how much trouble they really are. they are not nearly as usefull as people say they are, in fact they can actually make maintenance harder on a system.

G~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts