The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I have this posted on a local reef forum, but responses are nil...would love your input!

I'm starting to plan a new custom overflow for my AGA (tempered...boo) 55 gallon.
Here are the three views of what I have planned. I think everything is at the proper height. It's kind of a blend of the eshopps overflow and the bean animal. basically, I took two of the three standpipes from the bean animal overflow and put them in the outer box of the overflow. two full siphon pipes across the top should supply plenty (based on eshopps). these are planned to all be 3/4in pvc (or flex). note the ball valve on the full siphon stand pipe, this will be adjusted so very little water (but some) goes down the non-siphon standpipe, making both silent (based on bean animal system). as the pump may fluctuate in gph, the standpipes should have room to keep up with that. if the pump goes out (for any reason), the water level in both the outer and inner boxes will drop until the siphon in the full-siphon standpipe breaks. the water will sit in both boxes at that height until the pump turns back on. the only way the full siphon in the two u-tubes might break should be if the pump is off so long that the water in the box evaporates that low...or maybe an earthquake. these will both drain into a 10gallon sump (yet to be designed)

I feel like this is a perfect :)bigeek:)overflow system. I know I'll get flogged for saying that, but I really just don't see how this would fail (read: 'flood'):p

what do you guys think?
Pics on are post 3

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess one thing the pictures don't show is that the lowest part of the two standpipe openings is above (by about an inch) the bottom of the u-tubes. that way the water stops draining well before the u-tubes meet the air.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 on burningbaal

also the non-siphon standpipe should be free flowing, no ball valve, its the emergency drain.

now on that durso style, thats where you want the ball valve, and if I remember right it should empty under the water line of the sump.
indeed nate_bro, the non-siphon standpipe is free flowing, as straight and unrestricted as I can get the pipe to be.

also, on the true siphon, it WILL have a ball valve (to adjust flow to 'match' the return pump) and will drain near the bottom of the sump, probably 2-3" above the glass bottom.
I think I'll have the non-siphon pipe drain onto some filter screen (the blue fluffy stuff to keep tiny stuff out of pumps/powerheads) that will sit at/on the water level of the sump.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the function of the emergency drain?
I mostly have it in case the first gets partially clogged, but here's the long explanation:

The ball valve on the main (full siphon) drain will be adjusted so that that pipe is exposed to 0 air so it pulls a full (silent!) SIphon. This would leave just a trickle to go down the emergency drain.
first point: it would be impossible to actually set the valve to exactly match the return pump, so this allows it to be set slightly below equal so that it will always be at a full (remember: silent) siphon. Additionally, when the pump has momentary fluctuations in power, the non-siphon drain can drain more water, and potentially could go to a full siphon. Each drain then should be able to move 300-500gph at full siphons and I'm planning on about 300gph from the return pump, so even if the min drain gets fully clogged, the backup can handle the average flow.

Btw all: I'm planning on a 't' fittingat the return pump output with two ball valves coming out of both sides of the t. One (open valve when in normal mode) goes do DT return. Second recircs to skimmer chamber. This way I can separate the two for a weird water change or emergency quarantine or something.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thinking about making my 10 gallon sump just one big drain/skimmer/reactor/filter chamber and a small return. then someday getting a 20 gallone extra high and filling it with rock to make a live fuge. I could stick a pesky fish in tehre for a time out, or whatever. probably move a little of my sand down there to make 3 inches in it. I'd move the second out of the return pump to the 20g and have it gravity drain in to the drain section of the sump... sound ok?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts