The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the 150w MH with 2 x 65w actinics?

If so, could you do me a favor and check the actinics to see if both light rails are lit bright blue? It seems that on each of my bulbs, only one of the light rails is really burning bright blue, while the other looks pale blue like it's not completely charged up or something. Is this how it's supposed to be?

"The Best of Both Worlds
Enhancing the 10,000K Daylight are the revolutionary Dual Actinic Lamps providing both 460nm and 420nm Actinic in one lamp. Emitting the necessary energy for activating photosynthesis in chlorophyll A and C, the Dual Actinic provides the most complete actinic lighting spectrum available."

does 460 and 420 appear much different to the human eye?

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_current_usa_outer_orbit_hqi_actinic_lunar.asp?CartId=

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not sure about your problem. But I am wondering how you like it so far. I have ordered one of these for my 90 gal and its on the way !! Sorry I can't be of much help to you

Markus

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like the light so far. I bought it as a replacement to an aquatraders oddysea light that kept burning out. The fit and finish is really nice.

What's the best actinic to make the the colors really pop out? 460 or 420?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
The lamps are "dual actinic"... yes there is a visible difference between 420 and 460 nanometers.

I've sold quite a few of these fixtures and everyone has been very happy with them thusfar. I just upgraded a client's lighting last week - he has a 72" tank and he used to have a 48" fixture... he had a problem with the ballasts (the fixture was a Hamilton that was about 10 years old) and he was absolutely thrilled with the difference.

IMO very high quality fixture for the price - streamlined, compact, nice lighting, nice effects on a tank.

Jenn

·
Banned
238 Posts
Yeah I had the 72" and loved it when it kept falling out of my ceiling. The fact that is weighs 78 pounds as a 72" light strip is a HUGE plus for me. I just wish that I could fill the inside with concrete and make it a little heavier. As for right now, I think it might be the heaviest light fixture on the planet. That is most likely due to the inside ballast rather then external.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts