The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Crocea's mantles is curling up. It was just 2 of the folds/lips or whatever you call them, but today a third is curling. I did a search and only came up with necessity to change the carbon, so I did that this morning. The only other changes have been that I'm letting my alkalinity drop to more normal Parms. I used to stay around 13-14 and I let it drop to 11.8 dKh over the past week or so. I've also stopped dosing the tank with phyto and microvert as often. I was doing 1/3 dosage every other day. Now maybe once a week. All other parms are normal. Any ideas what causes this? He's still very respondent to light

Temp 79
PH 8.0 morning 8.3 afternoon
Alk 11.8 dKh
Calcium 460
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Magnesium 1350
Phosphates 0

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
is it always like that
mine seam to curl up when I get my hand too close

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it always like that
mine seam to curl up when I get my hand too close
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Nah...this is new in the past week. Even when he's closed

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Mine does that when the internal water flow hits the mantle, but then it falls back down. Is the bulb from the light directly above the clam? If so it may be getting excess heat and trying to prevent so much by closing a bit. Nice coloring!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what is your lighting?

have you looked very closely at the clams edge? are there any tiny white snails there? if you can pick up the clam, look underneath near the byssal opening and look for these tiny snails there also.

G~

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is your lighting?
I have 2-250 MH's and 2 T-5 39 watt Actinics. They (the clams) are very high in the tank. This part of the mantle doesn't even seen to fold in right any more when he closes. He's been in there for months and has been very happy. There's another crocea that is fine, it's only this guy..

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's another pic. It looks like there's a band of growth under the mantle that's affecting his opening. It's tough to see because it's the same color. It looks like an infection of some sort. Any Ideas?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
whenever i have had a new clam, the new growth that occurs from the time i have had to to present is always a bit different than it was previously. the pinching may be due to the changes in water chemistry between the old system and yours. i am not saying that it is bad, just different. the change may be causing the shell to grow differently affecting the mantle.

from your pic i did not see any pyramid snails so that is a good thing. the clam looks pretty healthy other than the pinching. since you are seeing some new growth i would not worry to much about it. as long as the clam is able to expand most of its mantle than it will be getting enough food.

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
What is called "Pinched Mantle" in tridacnids is caused by "a protozoa" according to Barry Neigut. He has found that a good rinsing (while shaking) afflicted clams in pH adjusted freshwater for a minute usually effects a lasting cure.Give it a try something is bothering him.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is called "Pinched Mantle" in tridacnids is caused by "a protozoa" according to Barry Neigut. He has found that a good rinsing (while shaking) afflicted clams in pH adjusted freshwater for a minute usually effects a lasting cure.Give it a try something is bothering him.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Should I use RO/DI water and just bring the PH up with SuperBuffer?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
whatevva said:
Should I use RO/DI water and just bring the PH up with SuperBuffer?
Yes thats fine try to get the temp the same as the tank also.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how ya getting him off the rock?
I guess I'll just tug very gently. This clam has been in that position for months so I'm not looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Butch just gently wiggle it back and forth till it loosens up.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Butch just gently wiggle it back and forth till it loosens up.
Thanx Casey. I'm probably not going to do it until I return from SC on Monday. I'd just rather be around after I do it.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Some can be hard to get off. But they will come off. I do it like Casey said, Move side to side and gentle pulling. I have never done a bath on one before. But I had one that was pinched and it did not make all that long. I'm not sure if that is the reason for it dying.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's Done! He looked worse this morning, and I didn't want to wait another 4 days. MAN! was it tough getting him off the rock! I had no idea that they attached that good! The only other issue was trying to get the Ph adjusted in a bowl of water was tough. Ok, so I shook him in the water for just over 1 minute. I'll keep ya posted!

Thanx!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good luck. He looks beautiful, so I hope he pulls through it quickly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts