The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided today to get back into the hobby after a break and wanted to get some advice. I have quite a bit of rock from my last go around and would preferably like to use it. Its sitting in my tank, which has a little water in it and is fallow.

If I clean off the rock, put it in a container with some live, a heater and a pump should I be good to go? Do I have to use RO/DI water during this process? I have a unit but would like it if I didn't have to since it takes so long. How often should I be doing water changes, once a week? twice a week? And finally how long will the process all take? I don't mind waiting as long as I get a good end result.

Any advice, tips and hints are all welcomed. I am moving from a 30G to a 15G but plan on breaking up some of my rocks into much smaller pieces to go in the back of my tank as part of the filtration. Most of the rock was originally dead rock which I put in my tank and then put in some live and let it cycle.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I would use RO/DI if not ur basically sitting them in a phosphate bath. This will just lead to algae later. It should also be in dark as much as possible to kill off anything that might grow. I would do a change atleast once a week, or double every 2 weeks. Try to get all the gunk out of the container when you change the water. good to see someone taking there time!
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use RO/DI if not ur basically sitting them in a phosphate bath. This will just lead to algae later. It should also be in dark as much as possible to kill off anything that might grow. I would do a change atleast once a week, or double every 2 weeks. Try to get all the gunk out of the container when you change the water. good to see someone taking there time!
:)
Okay so RO/DI it is, I was going to cure it in a tank I have but I think I will go for a bin instead, just to try and keep light to a minimum. I'm trying to get all my stuff together as I only decided to do this this morning, just woke up with the notion in my head.

I rushed it last time as you do when you're a newb, it didn't work out well for me, I had algae problems, ended up with ich, which is part of the reason I let my other tank go. So I'm doing it right this time. So timeframe wise 4-6 weeks?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
yeah 4-6 weeks sounds about right. I would keep it curing untill you get clean readings. and a nice dark look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts