The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have just recevied 70 lbs of pre cured live rock that was lost in shipping for 4 days. When I receviced the boxs there were small bugs crawling out of the boxes. I was wondering what would be the best procedure to cure the live rock. I have never cured rock be for any info would be greatly appreacitied.
THANKS
Rodney

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
is this all the rock for the tank? if so you can cure it in the tank if you are adding it to an existing set up you will need to cure it in a garbage can or something before you can add it to the tank

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 3 other pieces of rock that is all ready in the tank and I have some that is in a 30 gallon that I am transfering over to the new tank as well.
There is some snails and some hermit crabs in the tank also

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
If it was lost in shipping for 4 day I would cure it in the garage in a garbage can its gonna stink.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Thats true Vince,my wife would kill me if I brought that stinky stuff in her house though:thumbup: Might need some big boxfan on it to keep it cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rock is currently in a garbage can in the garage with a power head in there. I did not put a heater in there because it gets a little hot in there , but I can open some doors and windows and get some air flow through there. How long should I keep the rock in there and should I move any of the rock around or do anything to it?

·
Retired Wanderer
17,266 Posts
Bring it into your spare bedroom at room temp and let it sit three months.

Mix up salt water in a separate tub and do a pretty good water change every week or two. You will want to scrape off any black die off and turkey baste before the water changes.

Sit on your hands and come BS with us here on TRT whilst you wait.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Open the windows no heater needed in Ala,leave it in there until you have zero readings on ammonia and Nitrite test kits,Add a fan for better air flow,you can do
water changes on it if you want some people do,I dont.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I have done it both lid on lid off if you can make sure nothing gets in it then leave it off much better air flow.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
No problem,make sure to scrub off any black gunk you see use a plastic bristle brush and try not to let the smell knock you out:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts