The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get LR for my new 30g cube, is it dumb to get cured rock, since it will be the only thing in the tank. To me it seems the cheaper non cured LR would be a good choice, but maybe I'm wrong on that point? Also I do realize that I will still have to scrape off the spongy, big stuff that will die anyway. Just looking for some opinions, any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
Depends on what you call cured. Is this from a tank at the LFS or being shipped and called cured?

Also, no need to be in a hurry. Curing rock is easy if you read a bit here and there on the forum and a rite of passage in this hobby. Besides gotta do something with that old butter knife that doesn't match the rest in the drawer...scraping dead stuff is a perfect idea.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i just picked threw all the live rock in the store, and picked stuff that had good coraline growth on it, took it home and cured it anyway. it jump started the colors in my tank. cured or not, odds are your going to have a cycle from die off. and will end up sitting threw it all anyway. so might was well just pick rock you think looks good and wait it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not at all trying to skip the cycle process. Just thinking that this would be cheaper. I thinking i'm going to get about 10-20lbs of uncured LR possibly online, or lfs depends on if I like what I see at the lfs, and then have about 10-20lbs of base rock. Sound like a good plan?

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
Yep...year from now you will not be able to tell the difference. 40 pounds of rock is right in the ballpark depending on the density.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Just go with uncured rock and cook it. Then you are good to go.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
"cooking" is the process of removing phosphates from the LR. you stick it in a bucket/tub for a couple of months. siphoning out all detritus that falls to the bottom. it will eventually stop shedding detritus. when it does it is done. most people do it in the dark so that no algae has a chance to grow.

G~

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I think the "cooking" term comes from about 15 years ago when we actually cooked rock in boiling water (phew) - - now it means to put the uncured rock in tubs or buckets with no lighting and a strong power head, taking out the water periodically and filling up with new fresh SW mix. Also scraping off all the junk that dies. It's a messy job but much cheaper to do for your LR, if you're not in a hurry.

HHC

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Cured or uncured if you buy it online and it has to be shipped, it will need to be re-cured. Shipping undoes the 'cure' process. Either way it will be stinky.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
cook it is the way to go. then you won't have to post one of those hair algae posts in the future. you can do dry LR but it can take up to 2 years for it to become saturated the way wet LR is.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I agree no matter what you buy and have shipped you will be curing it again anyway. cooking is a good thing to do, i have some rock that was nasty with hair algae that was giving to me, They no longer wanted it because it was so bad., I cooked it and it is really nice rock now, tooks a few months and alot of water movement and water changes , well worth it, I think all rock will be better off if you cook it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts