The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post where someone put live rock into his tank thus causing a torch to mush up.

My question is the following. I need to add more live rock to my tank. I bought about 20-25 pounds from a very reliable friends sister who runs a private aquarium service/setup buisness. I know for a fact that the rock was sitting in tubs with flow and light and regular water changes for about 2 and half months. This rock is not sitting in a rubbermaid tub in my living room with flow and has been there for 2 days now. I was going to add half of it tonight and the other a half a week later. I tested the water and found that the nitrites are at 0ppm and the nitrates are at about 6 ppm. The nitrates in my tank are consistenly at 10ppm without any problems. Would you recommend that I keep that live rock in my own tub longer before I place it in my tank? The rock never left water. It was in a 5 gallon buck full of fresh SW on the 2 hour trip down from St. Cloud to the cities (traffic is a b**ch).

Does the tank act differently than the rubbermaid? I guess another way of putting this would be: Would the bacteria and inhabitants of the tank cause the nitrate levels to rise or is it simply the addition of the rock ( which I now is at about 6ppm)

Any input would be helpful

·
11,345 Posts
Make absolutely sure that the ammonia and nitrites are ZERO and you should be fine. Although, i have added rock in the past that i have done that with and there was no cycle, and nothing in the tank was hurt...except the sandbed. The detritus that continued to come out fo the rock in question for the next couple of months pretty much toasted a fairly young sandbed. It was this incident that pretty much amkes it so i wont introduce any rock to my systems that isnt cooked.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
From my experience you should be fine. Use the water that its sitting in and rinse it very well. If there is anything dieing in the rock you could smell it so take a whiff. I trade out live rock ever so often and have never had it cause any problems. As long as you know the supplier and are sure they cured it the rock should be good to go with just a little rinsing.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
should be ok,put havee in and check water perimeters do a WC if needed.then waite anougher week and do it to the 2nd half.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts