The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to culture tigger pods in plastic bottles so that I can have a mandarin sometime in the future. Would the tigger pods be able to live in room temperature or is that too warm? So to culture them, I just put them in bottles, and feed them with phytofeast? How would I do waterchanges in such small containers with so many small things like pods? How do I harvest them? If anyone has experience can you tell me what exactly you did to culture tigger pods?

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Mine won't eat anything I put in the tank. It feeds off the natural pod life that exists in the tank.
My first mandarin died in less than a year and I could see it gradually waste away.
Before I bought the next one, I took all the rock out and put all rock rubble under where I replaced the larger rock pieces in the ninety gallon tank and let the populations of micro life grow for about 6 months before I tried again.
I have made sure never to put another fish in the tank that feeds off the same life as the mandarin so there is no competition for the natural food it eats.
At night, I use a large flashlight with red cello wrap over the light and watch the pod life to be sure I'm not having any problems with diminished density.
I have noticed though that there are larger things like the gammarus and even the adult mysids that the mandarin doesn't touch. It WILL go for the newborn mysids and immature sizes of other large food items.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
I had a small culture a few years ago for about 1 month. Basically, I put about 10 in a tupperware container, threw and air stone in, and fed phyto every 3 days. I ended up with around 50. I was culturing them for my seahorses since I was told the horses (erectus) were around 2" big. Well they were about 4" big and showed no interest in the pods. So I just dumped them all in my reef.

Maybe not the best method, but it seemed to work.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Most wouldn't use phytofeast due to the cost of it compared with other foods.
You can use live phyto that you harvest yourself or you can make a greenwater using spirulina powder that you mix with water on high speed in a blender for a minimum of two minutes.
Brine Shrimp Direct sells a 1lb jar of spirulina powder for $10, and you can probably get starter cultures of phyto from a local hobbyist very cheap.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Yeah, 150g of nanno. I used it to feed the brine shrimp I raised for selling to LFS's around me. It was too labour intensive though so I only did it for a couple of years. Now, I just do it for myself and a few other hobbyists that buy from me.
When I first started, it cultured about 4 species but I was too lazy to keep the equipment clean enough for the more difficult species to survive long term.
Nanno is easy to keep so I kept using it until I found that the spirulina was producing more nutritious brine and rotifers and pods.
Now I just use it for the first 10 days or so of the brine shrimp and follow it with the spirulina greenwater after that.
I've not had to use nanno for rotifers as they do quite well full time on the spirulina greenwater. Same with the amphipods.
Now I'm only using a 20g rubbermaid storage container with clamp on lights and f/2 fertilizer from Florida Aqua Farms.
Culturing my Nannochloropsis
Almost forgot, I also keep four 2L bottles of nanno separate to use in case the large culture crashes.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Culture crashes of what? nanno or ?
For nanno, I have the 4 two litre bottles to restart the culture if the nanno crashes, which happens sometimes when rotifers float to the nanno container.
I don't put nanno in my tanks. I put in enriched rotifers.
I can't be bothered with pods any more but I use to add just enough nanno to tint the water green. Same when I switched to using greenwater made from powdered spirulina.
It's always better to feed less, more times, than it is to feed more, fewer times.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
No I don't. Many many years ago I did but after added enriched rotifers I've not.
First of all, I feel that enriched rotifers are more beneficial to my tanks than nanno is, and second, I avoid the possibility of putting fertilizer into the tanks via the nanno culture that may not have consumed all the fertilizer at the time I put some in tanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts