The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this skimmer used. It's only been used for a couple months though, and in the same tank that I'm using it now. I have the smaller version on my 58 and it works great.

When I turn it on, it fills up with water, but the venturi doesn't seem to be working so well. If I take the little noise filter off the air line and blow in it, I get plenty of little microbubbles in the skimmer and it acts like it would work great, but the problem is, I can't sit there and blow in there 24 hours a day. It's just not practical.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nevermind. I found the problem. I knew a venturi system was a pretty simple to understand concept... couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing wrong.

Had the pump too far underwater. I took the pump off, and held up up a couple inches off the bottom of my sump and it started making a ton of bubbles. It was just too deep that the pressure was great enough to force water about an inch into my air tubing.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
thanks for figureing it out, its nice to learn something about that, now if others (me) have that same problem, i know what to try.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Geoff said:
yea, those needlewheel skimmers are very finicky about water depth height.

G~
would it be best to have the pump more shallow? i could fine tune mine to about an inch under the water. i just want it to do the best it can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts