The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone in the atlanta area ever heard or used "CRYSTAL SEA MARINEMIX" marine salt......the reason i asked,there was an article in march 2003 in" the reef tank" and the article gave this salt high praises

·
Registered
921 Posts
salt

What a fascinating thread on salt mixes. I confess to having read the article on the urchin embryo sucess with Crystal Seas and feeling persuaded. I now know I would hesitate for a long time.

The other interesting link to www.aquacraft.net was nearly as :eek: entertaining. What I do not know about salt could be deadly. Of course living in Atlanta I just do not need much de-icer in the winter but I could make some home made ice cream.

These guys seemed to have almost as much fun flaming one another as the ARC BOD [inside joke].

It really makes it important to test the water parameters before adding to the display tank.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I got a sample of Marine Mix at a trade show. I also got a sample of Omega Sea's salt mix too - apparently Tom Frakes of Instant Ocean fame is working with Omega Sea now.

I have not tried either salt - I'm happy with my current brand.

Jenn

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: salt

wildemon said:
What a fascinating thread on salt mixes. I confess to having read the article on the urchin embryo sucess with Crystal Seas and feeling persuaded. I now know I would hesitate for a long time.

The other interesting link to www.aquacraft.net was nearly as :eek: entertaining. ...
I have been having problems with my tanks pH. It has been running low at about 7.8 - 8.0. After a bit of research I suspected my salt may be the culprit (Coralife). When mixed to 1.024 SG it is indeed low pH.

I decided to switch and went with Marine Environment from Aqua Craft. The hotly debated S-15 report (only availabe from Aqua Craft :rolleyes: ) says Marine environment is the best.

The urchin study by Dr. Shimek seems to draw a similar conclusion about another of Aqua Crafts products (Bio-Sea). I knew, also, that many hobbyists have reported bad results with Crystal Sea (see Andy's post and link above).

The other salt study of interest is the Atkinson Bingman study. It does not include any data on Crystal Sea or Aqua Craft's salt mixes. It is also very difficult to compare the results of the Atkinson Bingman study to the S-15 data without doing some conversions of the data.

It would be interesting to see this data compared. I know the tests were done many years apart but I believe it would be worth comparing the data. I tried to convert the data but am not sure if I did it correctly? :help:

I decided to try Marine Environment also based on the fact that Petland in Duluth carries it. They also have been using Marine Environment (for about 1 1/2 years) in their reef stock tanks and reported excellent results.

Will keep you posted on the results of Marine Environment on my tank. So far the pH seems to be stabilized at about 8.1 after just two water changes!

Oops... I forgot this one link. Salt analysis project.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My reef has been up since April using only marinemix. When I originally transferred *all* the rock, coral and fish from captsammy's 125G (who was running IO), I saw some bleaching of the large toadstool (but I am also running more lighting and flow). Now, all color is back to normal and all coral and fish are thriving--there have been no fatalities.

It seems likely that there are indeed differences between marinemix and other salts, and that changing from one to another can be stressful.

Last time I checked, Dr. Mac was using exclusively marinemix and had great things to say about it.

One other nice thing is price: my parents pick it up for me in Baltimore, paying about $19/150g box (or $22 for the bioassay version) at the Aquarium Center.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i talked to dr mac,he said that he hadn't had a problem-but that you must start out slow,less than 5% when you do a water chg.....than i read the threads from people that have used it,i decided not to use it....on reef.org there is a lot of talk concerning the report dr ron put out about the salt...you may want to read these threads before using this salt(crystal sea marine)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
To answer Mega's question, I use Kent, but I also used IO for about 15 years - no problems with either.

Ask rhomer about the issues he had with Coralife..... :rolleyes:

I tried Red Sea - plenty like this, but but it did not dissolve well, it is simply sea water dried in evaporators - but it doesn't reconsitute well, IMO.

The one thing to keep in mind when reading all those salt studies - is to know WHO sponsored the study - often the company who paid for the study, has their product come up on top.

Jenn

·
Registered
33 Posts
There seems to be as many differing opinions on the salts now as there were when Dr. Ron published his study. I know some folks have had no problem with it, it mainly seems to be thoes who have switched. Thoes who start out with the salt don't seem to have any problems other then it wasn't mixing well, but that was remedied by lowering the calcium amount in the mixture of the salt.

Also with RedSea. When ever Ocean water is evaporated, certain chemicals come out of solution and combine with others these chemicals can not be put back in by just adding water, that is why alot of times you get the white stuff that doesn't wanna dissolve, also the main reason there is no salt that is just pure evaporated ocean salt. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts