The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site and marine tank keeping. I have a 30 gallon tank that was 6 months old. I started with a 3 inch crushed coral bed, not knowing sand would be better in a reef environment. I never had any issues with my tank but wanted sand due to its look, and ability to have sand dwelling creatures; also could not clean my cc very good due to my large amount of live rock. I have a hob filter and a hob reef octopus 1000. I took my 2 clowns and 7 corals to the lfs for 2 weeks.

1. Im changing out crushed coral to arag-alive sand, should only a mini cycle occur or will i need to recycle my whole tank? Anything to speed this up such as pwc , or high temperature(i know to go slow with everything but i only have to weeks till i must get my fish). ammonia reads at .25-.50. nothing else

2. I also seeded my Arag-alive sand with a mesh bag of my old crushed coral. How long should i leave the mesh bag to seed everything in my tank? Im worried about leaving it in too long then pulling it out and causing another mini cycle once i have my fish back.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

:fish:

· Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Since you have a bunch of live rock, you could take the old crushed coral bag out. You have enough bacteria there to take care of it.

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

i would look into the maintenance required between the two different substrates before you decide to get rid of the CC. it is not all about how it looks, but also about the maintenance required to keep them. CC is a lot easier to keep clean than a fine sand. there are tradeoffs. those that keep a fine sand siphon some of it out every water change and then replace it with new when needed. those that have CC just siphon out the detritus collected in the substrate and call it good.

the important thing to remember is that the detritus has to be removed from the system in order to keep algae from growing. it is all a matter of how active in this role you want to be and how much fun you think it is to rebuild your system every now and then to replace the substrate. the finer the grains of sand the harder it is to siphon, but the more phosphates it can absorb before the affects of eutrophication (nutrient buildup) start showing their affects.

The Reefkeeping Made Easy thread will go into this in as much detail as you like. :D

G~

· Registered
3,451 Posts
Since you have a bunch of live rock, you could take the old crushed coral bag out. You have enough bacteria there to take care of it.
Agreed, You'll have enough in the live rock that you have to seed the sand. :D

Post some pics when you get time.

AND.... Welcome :D

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well i did go through a small cycle but my levels are reading good. I will test everything again tonight and tomorrow just to be sure. I did have to add some buffer to the tank. Decided o leave the crushed coral bag in for another two days. i will post a pic soon.

Now just to wait a few more days to move all my live stock back to the tank, that'll be fun.

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
for future reference- there is little need to put the CC in a bag and leave it in the system. there is nothing in that bag that is not already living in the LR and will quickly populate the new substrate. it has a greater chance of leaching more phosphates into the system, then actually helping the tank "cycle" or populate anything.

G~

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah its at the fish store. Tomorrow im gonna start bringing everything home, plus some type of clean up crew. Speaking of clean up crew, any suggestions. I have 2 cleaner shrimp, a fire/blood shrimp, and 1 peppermint shrimp already. Im definately thinking of getting some emerald crabs but not sure what else. May start another thread on this topic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.