The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I need a bigger clean up crew, which I know I do. The LFS dude said I should get an emerald crab, or a sally light foot crab. I have been reading that when they get bigger they can get mean. Does anyone else have one and is that true. Should I stay away from them?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Did he say WHY he felt you needed a bigger clean up crew?

Not sure I understand his thoughts.

A sally is good for cleaning stuff from tight spots, but they have been known to "cause trouble". Emeralds are good at cleaning up bubble algae...but also can be opportunistic at times.

However, there are people here who have them and haven't had problems. Kind of a risk you take, I guess. It's up to you if you want one...but as far as "needing" one? I doubt that.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
Emerald crabs are great for bubble algae, if you don't have that then I would skip it.

My fav cleaners are very simply Astrea snails, and Certh snails, anymore I don't even use hermit crabs (they eat my cirth snails). I like turbo snails, but they get big and tend to knock frags off rocks. My Astreas and Cerths don't seem to do that.

Sally Lightfoot, I don't know anything about.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel I need more of a clean up crew since all I have now in my 150 gallon tank is two turbos, and 8 hermit crabs, two nassarius snails, and one hitch hiker cerith snail. I have red slime algae all over the sand bed that has long hairs all over it and cyno all over the rocks that form long strands. I will get my new filter cartridges today or tomorrow and will do a water change. Then this weekend my new pump should be here and we will put a CLS in for more flow. I just feel I need more help with the clean up crew. I will probably get a diamond goby as well as more snails(Cerith, Nassarius, Nerite) and hermits. Any more ideas will be welcome.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I would think if you feel you need more of a clean up crew, i'd just get more of what you already have, rather than introducing new species that might cause potential conflicts or add extra risk. Just pick up some more hermits and/or some more snails. There are some who put like 100 snails in their 50 gallon tanks. Not sure one way or the other on that. But I know I have 5 turbo's and ~20 hermits in my 72 SPS tank, and have had them all for over a year now...and never had any algae problems (other than the initial diatom blooms).

Just MY opinion/experience though.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a pic. I know it is bad but it shows the long strands on it. I really think it is going away now. Wow I am so glad. If I can just get rid of the cyano now. I'll get a pic of that later, my camera is in my hubby's car.

Attachments

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I keep the smaller cleaner crabs. My hemit pulled all my snails out even tho he had plenty of replacements. I have a couple of conches that keep the sandbed clean.

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I dont think you need a larger (size of critters) cleanup crew just maybe more of a cleanup crew. I would probably look into adding more snails and hermits. A sally lightfoot is not that bad to have but needs a mature tank. I have no experience with them being mean in any way. They seem to get along just find with the other tank inhabitants.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I have both. The emerald crabs won't touch the bubble algae, but do keep to their work and don't bother anyone. My Sally Lightfoot is an eating machine! Her little claws move so fast that it's just a blur. She's never bothered anyone in the tank. She's molted about 6 or 7 times since I got her, so she's getting fairly large.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Butch has crabs... :eek:

Personally I think for now there is a nutrient issue in your system, Boo, try the suggestions to siphon and crank up the skimmer (or clean the tube out more often).

Lots of issues concerning crabs will depend on your husbandry of the system (how often the tank is fed, specifically), speciation of the crabs, the numbers of them in your system, and how "big" they actually are...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts