The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the unknown crab that has hitched into my tank about 5 months ago has a problem. I went to feed the tank tonight and I noticed that his belly is solid black. It has never looked like that before. I have no idea what type of crab it is, and I can't find anything online about their bellies turning black. I only see it at night and it is always hiding between the glass and my brine shrimp hatchery so I really can't say if it is acting weird. Anybody know what this could be??

The bottom picture is just of what it looks like, the top is of it's belly.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 reef 40g trigger emerald sump kessil ap700 light 6ish fish
584 Posts
Eggs eggs eggs lol.... that's my wager

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. as far as I know it is the only crab in that tank. I have a pistol shrimp and a watchman goby in there. There's a hermit and 2 snails and a serpent star. Here's another picture of it from the top, any ideas what kind of crab it could be?

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just googled saltwater crab with black eggs and it looks as if there are lots of crabs with black eggs, and they carry them right there. Cool! Now I just wonder how they got there! Are some crabs asexual??

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Crabs and shrimp lay eggs all the time. They will hatch and for an hour or so, you will see them swimming all over the place, then disappear. Usually they are dark green but black is common unlike my copperband that just lays one white egg. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul b lol that is a much more obvious egg! :rotflmao:

Hey as long as the mystery crab is not dying then I am not worried! Eggs are cool. Baby crabs would be even cooler.. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts